Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

01 2WD Rear Transmission Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 01 2WD Rear Transmission Leak

I have a 2001 2WD 4.0 and the rear seal was leaking fluid. I have replaced it twice and it slowed it down but still leaks. It is coming from where the driveshafts goes in not on the outer edge. Anyone had this problem? Thanks for any help!
Old 07-19-2008, 05:39 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Is the yoke worn where it rubs the seal or maybe have a burr? Were the seals torn when you removed the old ones?
Old 07-19-2008, 06:25 PM

Edges seem smooth on seal (with no tears) and the yoke. Within an inch or two of the seal it was slightly rougher so I sanded it a little with 320 grit then 2000. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2008, 06:41 PM
Renix Super Guru

I have had bad seals that came from the parts house and would not seal well. Try a different parts house. I have always had good luck with NAPA, their stuff is usually top notch and they have a good return policy if you have an early failure.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:50 PM

Thanks, I will try NAPA.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:11 PM
Renix Super Guru

That's what CF is here for. Let us know how that works out for you!!
Old 07-21-2008, 09:34 AM

Default do you have a lift?

i nearly tore my hair out trying to resolve mine and finally determined after the lift my shaft was too short and went to salvage yard and bought a used one which was 1" longer($25) and then replaced the rear main seal which btw is a flimsy piece of crap. we could also see that the short driveshaft had slightly burred the (cant remember the part name) little metal bushing, so we replaced that as well. I have had not a single drip since. I hope this helps.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:52 PM

Haven't got a chance to replace the seal yet. Stopped by NAPA ( we have one in 30 miles area) and I picked it up. Went to replace it and he gave me the wrong one. Finally got a chance to go return it to get the right one and he can not find one the right size. So ran by the dealer and ordered for $32.05 which was which is about $24 higher than the National but hope it will solve the problem. Will let you know. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2008, 01:13 AM
Renix Super Guru

Yes we want to know if that solves your leak. I think it will. Ssweat thinks you need a longer yoke but if your current one goes past the seal you should be fine. IMHO.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

If you have some vaseline, rub it on the seal before re-installing the driveshaft.
I'm not really sure about the 2wd trannies but if there's a bearing at the end where the driveshaft goes in, check it out first. Wiggle the driveshaft and see if there's any clunking at that end. If there is a bearing and it is bad, you will just keep leaking.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:18 PM

I picked up the seal this weekend and it was way more heavy duty looking but I still have leak. It appears a little is coming from the seal area and maybe more from the the driveshaft end where it slides up on the spline. Of course it might be getting slung there when going down the road. I have never work on a Jeep but I am about to remove the short casing that encloses the tailshaft. I hope there is not anything going be spring loaded and fall apart when I remove it. I am going to check the bearing to see if it seems bad. It has a 102,xxx miles and a very smooth ride with no shakes. Not sure what else to check at this time?
Old 08-11-2008, 10:27 PM

Well finally removed tailshaft housing and you have to understand I am not a mechanic but can take something apart and put it back together. I learned the rear bearing is inside the main casing so I'm not gonna go in that far.

I did also find out it is leaking from the spline not around the seal. I filled the fluid to the right height after getting it warmed up shifted it thur the gears without driving it (I usually drive it). The fluid is running down the spline and running off the u-joint. On the output shaft was a inch long rubber bushing. Not sure if the is suppose to help it from leaking or what. So at this point I am going check the transmission fluid and drive it. I wish the shaft was sealed like the ones coming out of a transfer case.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Renix Super Guru

Well bad news is you can't get t the tailshaft past where you already have gotten to without pulling and completely disassembling the tranny because everything loads in from the bellhousing side and the case is solid from the front to the back. Just that tailshaft that you already looked into. So your leak is going to require a rebuild.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by morris340
Well finally removed tailshaft housing and you have to understand I am not a mechanic but can take something apart and put it back together. I learned the rear bearing is inside the main casing so I'm not gonna go in that far.

I did also find out it is leaking from the spline not around the seal. I filled the fluid to the right height after getting it warmed up shifted it thur the gears without driving it (I usually drive it). The fluid is running down the spline and running off the u-joint. On the output shaft was a inch long rubber bushing. Not sure if the is suppose to help it from leaking or what. So at this point I am going check the transmission fluid and drive it. I wish the shaft was sealed like the ones coming out of a transfer case.
to me it sounds like the rear output of a sye setup that we run on our tcases. theres a round rubber star seal that goes in front of the splines and then the nut goes on. is yours like that? im not famililar with 2wds and if u can get a pix that would help.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:28 PM

I am trying to understand why without the the shaft turning the its leaks from inside?

Quick Reply: 01 2WD Rear Transmission Leak