Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

00 XJ stalling issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L i6
Default 00 XJ stalling issue

Hi guys...so this one ive been after for a while.

my 2000 xj will stall at idle randomly. I used my reader got p340 and p1495

Ive replaced the Camshaft position sensor twice and after taking into jeff daniel jeeps they suggested it could be the ecm

Replaced the ecm and cam sensor again. It ran fine for about a month then just the other day i was riding around the city and it stalled.

Ive looked for cracked hoses in the evap lines didnt see anything. Was thinking about finding a replacement LDP and LDP solenoid. But i dont know what else to do about the camshaft position sensor. Any one got any ideas???
Old 05-20-2015, 01:17 PM

anyone?
Old 05-20-2015, 08:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by shailey
Hi guys...so this one ive been after for a while.

my 2000 xj will stall at idle randomly. I used my reader got p340 and p1495

Ive replaced the Camshaft position sensor twice and after taking into jeff daniel jeeps they suggested it could be the ecm

Replaced the ecm and cam sensor again. It ran fine for about a month then just the other day i was riding around the city and it stalled.

Ive looked for cracked hoses in the evap lines didnt see anything. Was thinking about finding a replacement LDP and LDP solenoid. But i dont know what else to do about the camshaft position sensor. Any one got any ideas???
That 340 code is for the camshaft position sensor circuit, not just the sensor. You need to check the wiring from the sensor all the way back to the PCM. Plus the issue could be in the PCM.

The 1495 code could be bad pump, something in that circuit is open or grounded or a broken wire. I would check the harness back to the fuse, swap the pump and see what happens.

Just as a note, seems like a lot of electrical issues, you might want to refresh all your ground points.

Clean the IAC as well since you are having idle issues.

Last edited by Cheddarnut; 05-20-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cheddarnut
That 340 code is for the camshaft position sensor circuit, not just the sensor. You need to check the wiring from the sensor all the way back to the PCM. Plus the issue could be in the PCM. The 1495 code could be bad pump, something in that circuit is open or grounded or a broken wire. I would check the harness back to the fuse, swap the pump and see what happens. Just as a note, seems like a lot of electrical issues, you might want to refresh all your ground points. Clean the IAC as well since you are having idle issues.
So I've replaced the pcm. I have a new ldp setup coming. I've already upgraded all the grounds and positive cables with 4g cables. I'll try the iac and I'll go through the wires I guess next.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by shailey
So I've replaced the pcm. I have a new ldp setup coming. I've already upgraded all the grounds and positive cables with 4g cables. I'll try the iac and I'll go through the wires I guess next.
Yeah, it's frustrating but if you keep knocking things off the list it gets better. One thing Cherokees have taught me is to never assume one thing is causing your problems!
Old 05-24-2015, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cheddarnut
Yeah, it's frustrating but if you keep knocking things off the list it gets better. One thing Cherokees have taught me is to never assume one thing is causing your problems!
Yeah I just tell myself. By the time it's fixed my jeep will be mostly new lol
Old 05-25-2015, 10:19 PM

So I cleaned the iac today and also found one of the evap hose elbows from the intake manifold was halfway off. Seems to have cleared up the rough idle. Gonna have to wait and see what happens with the stalling issue to see what happens
Old 06-03-2015, 01:59 PM

Default checking wiring harness for electrical ghost

So cleaning the IAC didnt do anything. Stalled a few times yesterday on my way home from work...I got a LDP setup from someone on here so im gonna install that and then I guess start searching for the culprit in the wiring harness...Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to go about that..should I just carefully open up the wiring harness section by section checking all the wires?
Old 06-23-2015, 03:52 PM

So I replaced the LDP setup out the old one had a pretty big crack in it...hopefully that was the problem. Has stalled 3 times since and gave me the cam shaft circuit bank code..but that went away and it hasnt stalled since.

If it continues I guess Ill have to start checking all the wiring