Trail Reports Show off pictures of your recent wheeling events.

VA wheeling

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 02:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default VA wheeling

bstew and i are intrested in setting up a small wheeling trip. it would be our first time out, and it would probably be good to have someone with some experience with us. I just did about an hours worth of research (it is now 3:30am) and i really cant find squat about PUBLIC places to wheel. we, especially bstew, cant afford any trouble with the law. we are both in stockers so keep that in mind. but heres what ive come up with so far is shoe creek, crozet, and stony run jeep trail. if you have land / know of other public places / wanna go with sometime. post on here and lets do it sometime soonish.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:39 PM

Where is stony run jeep trail?
Old 09-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Seasoned Member

idk i found it on another forum but couldnt get any info
Old 09-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Seasoned Member

found this on jeepforum.com

Hi All....I know there are several trails in the Sherando Lake/ Charlottesville area:
Kennedy Ridge
Cold Spring
Stony Run
Bald Mountain

I think I have found and run stony run...the one that starts 7mi (on the left) of coal road which is just before you hit the entrance to Sherando Lake park. It has the bus close to the end of the trail?

Where are the other trails in the area? I live in Richmond so the 1.5 hour trip to Sherando is nice. I ran some trails year ago- peters mill run, taskers gap in the GWNF but they are 2x far away, up near luray caverns.

Can anyone give me good directions to some of the trails closer to Richmond and perhaps around sherando lake area?

For those that dont know stony run...it is a nice trail, very rocky but easily passable in a stock jeep. Toward the end there are a couple mud areas depending on rain. It is about 12 miles long....start is on coal road...7mi and the trail is on your left, not well marked...basically an open gate. It ends up on the blue ridge parkway. Some points have big rocks and hairpin turns so at times it is bumpy and slow....
Old 09-05-2011, 03:22 PM

I live in southern wv . I am looking for something close by that I can go to.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:36 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by toogreat
found this on jeepforum.com

Hi All....I know there are several trails in the Sherando Lake/ Charlottesville area:
Kennedy Ridge
Cold Spring
Stony Run
Bald Mountain

I think I have found and run stony run...the one that starts 7mi (on the left) of coal road which is just before you hit the entrance to Sherando Lake park. It has the bus close to the end of the trail?

For those that dont know stony run...it is a nice trail, very rocky but easily passable in a stock jeep. Toward the end there are a couple mud areas depending on rain. It is about 12 miles long....start is on coal road...7mi and the trail is on your left, not well marked...basically an open gate. It ends up on the blue ridge parkway. Some points have big rocks and hairpin turns so at times it is bumpy and slow....
I believe you are actually referring to Big Level's Trail. I ran that same trail not to long ago. But actually ran it backwards I entered at the top near bald mountain overlook and exited down at coal road. Look up Big Level's jeep trail and you will find out more about it.

Im actually headed down to Shoe Creek this coming weekend, im headed down early Sunday morning to wheel for the day so you and your friends are more than welcome to come along and get in some wheeling.

Last edited by aquickmopar; 09-05-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Seasoned Member

imintrested but scared :\ dont know if my rig is trail worthy yet
Old 09-05-2011, 09:12 PM
CF Veteran

imintrested but scared :\ dont know if my rig is trail worthy yet
Like I said in the other thread shoe creek trail is stocker friendly. You can do the whole trail just go around and stay off the obstacles. It will give you a chance to get out and wheel and see what your rig is capable of. And its actually better to wheel a stock rig first it will give you more experience and know how to handle your rig better so when you do lift it and put bigger tires on it you don't end up doing something you thought you could do just because you got a lift and tires. That's how most guys end up flipping there rig or get in way over there head and start breaking things. Learn to wheel smart first then make the adjustments to your rig to fit your needs.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Seasoned Member

k well im definitly down if im off from work
Old 09-06-2011, 06:56 AM
CF Veteran

k well im definitly down if im off from work
Alright that's fine. Just let me know if you do decide to go. I haven't decided yet what time im leaving to head down yet on Sunday morning, but just shoot me a PM and let me know what you decide and then we can go from there.