Trail Reports Show off pictures of your recent wheeling events.

Moody Hill 05.24.09 Rain & Mud!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Moody Hill 05.24.09 Rain & Mud!

This was my first real wheeling adventure.... Yes Adventure... Moody Trail is not normally supposed to be difficult but when its raining and wet it becomes a bit more interesting.... esp with open diffs...hense the "Adventure"

We went up with my girl, friend Brian, his girl Yolanda, and her daughter...

Our Rigs:
1998 XJ 4" Lift with 33s (open/open)
1985 Yota 4Runner - Bone stock with 33s, winch bumper with winch...(no top or doors/open/open)

Overall Moody Hill is a very easy going trail with a real cool playground called the rock quarry.... But if you read traildamage.com it does state that the first hill can be challenging if wet and muddy... and they were right... coupled with open diffs it was at the very least... interesting. The first problem was when Brian got stuck in a little rut that for some reason he couldn't get passed.... My XJ made it just fine... we ended up having to winch out attached to my tow hitch all the while having a coolant hose come loose, his throttle cable get stuck, and the winch almost crap out... But before that was done, we had backed up at least 5 Yotas comming up and 8 Jeeps coming down... We both had to be winched up past the final ledge at the top of the rocky hill due to how slick the rocks were.... But we didnt feel too bad... The guys that helped us up said that earlier when they came up, 11 rigs tried and only 3 made it up with out help... so now you could make that 3 for 13 after we were assited up it...

After that it was easy.. rocky in parts and due to the rain a lot of fun mud puddles to splash through..

We ended at the Rock Quarry where we had met back up with the Yotas that were behind us (we let them pass earlier on the trial to follow them up)... The Rock Quarry was awesome.. Here are the results of the rigs we saw go up the 2 obsticals:

Early 80s Yota Truck with a flat bed (open/open): Cleared 1st obstical, didnt make the second due to open difs

Early 90s Tacoma w/ lockers: Cleared Both Obsticals but took a couple tries on the first

Late 90s Tocoma w/ Lockers: Cleared Both Obsticals no problem, lost his front license plate on the first

1st Gen 4Runner appeared bone stock (open/open): Couldnt make it up the first obstical

Brian's 1st Gen 4Runner w/ 33s (open/open): Another no go on the first obstical.

My XJ (open/open): Cleared the first obstical no problem (will post vid) did not attempt the 2nd because I knew I couldnt make it and even if I did I would have probably caused some real rocker damage..

After that was done we followed them out to the main road and headed home...

Here are the pics:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/members/xjimmy-5961/albums/moody-hill-052409/
Old 05-25-2009, 09:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995 Jeep
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l High output

Looked like a great time