KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

GPS Went Berserk

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2014
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.4 Tiger Shark
Default GPS Went Berserk

Has anyones GPS went crazy on them?? mine showed me being on the mountain tops and was no where near the highway i was on.. i was in areas where it had signal wasnt bfe , it had the icon off course and location by 50 miles, it was running parrallel with my route.. lol... i cant explain this one... has anyone elses goofed up?
Old 10-07-2015, 07:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0
Default Suggestion...

Originally Posted by metalwonzero
Has anyones GPS went crazy on them?? mine showed me being on the mountain tops and was no where near the highway i was on.. i was in areas where it had signal wasnt bfe , it had the icon off course and location by 50 miles, it was running parrallel with my route.. lol... i cant explain this one... has anyone elses goofed up?

I hope you don't mind me making a serious suggestion concerning GPS? Turn it off and get a map, it could end up being a matter of life or death for you someday. This has become such a problem that even the BLM has issued warnings about trusting them. Even we have had three deaths in our area due to wrong directions from GPS units the last five years.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 3.2-liter V-6

GPS receivers use radio waves from satellites to triangulate your position. Like all radio waves, they are subject to interference from time to time. I assume it cleared after a few moments.

I had a Nissan whose GPS system froze. That had to be replaced, but that's a whole different animal from what you described.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
I hope you don't mind me making a serious suggestion concerning GPS? Turn it off and get a map, it could end up being a matter of life or death for you someday. This has become such a problem that even the BLM has issued warnings about trusting them. Even we have had three deaths in our area due to wrong directions from GPS units the last five years.
I remember 7-8 years ago, I use to have to use my map to find jobsites. Got real good at it. Hell, there's even an index of the streets and the boxes to find them.

I like using my phones GPS but also am conscience of the road around me. As in I'm mot gonna follow my GPS down a dead end road lol. People rely too much on technology over their own senses sometimes. Not saying its the OP issue just saying
Old 10-07-2015, 10:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try rebooting your Uconnect, press and hold center of both round volume/mute and tune button for about 5 seconds then give it a few seconds for the reboot to start.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:08 AM
CF Veteran

Default Yep!

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
I remember 7-8 years ago, I use to have to use my map to find jobsites. Got real good at it. Hell, there's even an index of the streets and the boxes to find them.

I like using my phones GPS but also am conscience of the road around me. As in I'm mot gonna follow my GPS down a dead end road lol. People rely too much on technology over their own senses sometimes. Not saying its the OP issue just saying

They are killing folks...Here's the problem. The technology is only as good as the input by humans. Humans are fallible and when the connection is made from Satellite Coordinates to the actual Streets there are lots of mistakes made. Had one tell you to make a U-turn as you are reading a "No U-turn" sign yet? these kind of inaccuracies happen much more often than one would think!.

You have the best suggestion here, It is very easy to read a map, double check your GPS, don't trust it, Especially when offroading!
Old 10-08-2015, 09:26 AM

lol, im aware of the dangers of gps, i had to find a business the other day..
needless to say, i used a gas station for directions to the place..
other than that i rarely use it..
for my part, i am an x signal corp soldier, and proficient in land navigation.. 31U/25u series, so i had to teach individuals how to use nav equipment.. etc etc..
and i am aware this is not a military gps system.. its a far cry from it..
i was just wondering if anyone elses has been getting completey sideways? lol..
Old 10-08-2015, 10:44 AM
CF Veteran

Default Good to hear!

Originally Posted by metalwonzero
lol, im aware of the dangers of gps, i had to find a business the other day..
needless to say, i used a gas station for directions to the place..
other than that i rarely use it..
for my part, i am an x signal corp soldier, and proficient in land navigation.. 31U/25u series, so i had to teach individuals how to use nav equipment.. etc etc..
and i am aware this is not a military gps system.. its a far cry from it..
i was just wondering if anyone elses has been getting completey sideways? lol..

I apologize for using your thread to issue a public service announcement. But seriously society has allowed themselves to become too dependent on GPS. I have folks come into my shop everyday asking me to let them charge their phone because their phone charger quit working.

They actually make statements like "My Phone is dead and my GPS isn't working so I cant go any farther until it is working again". They won't even listen to the simple directions I try to give them consisting of "one turn and follow the signs". I have had Young folks in tears tell me " I can't get there from here because my GPS isn't working!". Really?

When we no longer have to think for ourselves and a car is smarter than most there is a huge problem brewing!

Again, I apologize for high jacking your thread, It is just a very serious issue for me because I have to deal with it everyday and I am a bit worried about the overall future of our society becoming so dependent and trusting on this very fallible technology
Old 10-08-2015, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
I apologize for using your thread to issue a public service announcement. But seriously society has allowed themselves to become too dependent on GPS. I have folks come into my shop everyday asking me to let them charge their phone because their phone charger quit working.

They actually make statements like "My Phone is dead and my GPS isn't working so I cant go any farther until it is working again". They won't even listen to the simple directions I try to give them consisting of "one turn and follow the signs". I have had Young folks in tears tell me " I can't get there from here because my GPS isn't working!". Really?

When we no longer have to think for ourselves and a car is smarter than most there is a huge problem brewing!

Again, I apologize for high jacking your thread, It is just a very serious issue for me because I have to deal with it everyday and I am a bit worried about the overall future of our society becoming so dependent and trusting on this very fallible technology
lol, i dont care, its a forum.. write what you want...