Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Trans cooler line will not latch

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Trans cooler line will not latch

Just purchased a CSF 3 Pass radiator and we can not get the automatic trans cooler line to lock on to the radiator inlet. The fitting goes on but does not "click" and lock itself on like it does with the original stock jeep radiator. Tried it on both several times and it only locks on to the stock Jeep radiator.

Are there any tricks to get this line to lock in place or do I go back to a new stock 2 pass radiator? It looks like it is more a more rounded lip on the formed bead that the fitting locks on than the stock appears to have flatter surfaces on the sides of the bead that the fitting locks on and there is no "click" and you can pull the line off easily, no matter how hard you press it on the the cooler inlet line, it will not lock. Both lines appear to have the lip inset the same distance, only the lip appears to be formed slightly different on the CSF.

I can exchange the CSF for another CSF but that might also have the same lip configuration on that line....

CSF said that they have not heard of any complaints, but would be happy to exchange it no problem, but what is the trick to get it to work?

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 08-06-2009, 02:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by manxedout
Just purchased a CSF 3 Pass radiator and we can not get the automatic trans cooler line to lock on to the radiator inlet. The fitting goes on but does not "click" and lock itself on like it does with the original stock jeep radiator. Tried it on both several times and it only locks on to the stock Jeep radiator.

Are there any tricks to get this line to lock in place or do I go back to a new stock 2 pass radiator? It looks like it is more a more rounded lip on the formed bead that the fitting locks on than the stock appears to have flatter surfaces on the sides of the bead that the fitting locks on and there is no "click" and you can pull the line off easily, no matter how hard you press it on the the cooler inlet line, it will not lock. Both lines appear to have the lip inset the same distance, only the lip appears to be formed slightly different on the CSF.

I can exchange the CSF for another CSF but that might also have the same lip configuration on that line....

CSF said that they have not heard of any complaints, but would be happy to exchange it no problem, but what is the trick to get it to work?

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob
swap the conectors from the old radiator over to the new radiator
Old 08-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

When I installed my CSF 3 row, I wasn't smart enough to do what Mike said, lol. But I had boogered up the plastic ears on the tranny line, so I bought a new tranny line from Napa (special order item) and it had a different style connector that doesn't make use of the bead on the tranny cooler output. Fits tight. Was something like $35-$38.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:11 PM

Year: 1992

mike37,

"swap the conectors from the old radiator over to the new radiator"

The inlet line for the trans cooler on the CSF All Metal 3 pass radiator is not a screw in connector it is a line that is coming out of the lower radiator end cap, it is not removable, so I can not swap it, we thought about that and decided that it was impossible and would kill the 2 year warranty!

I called CSF corporate and they claimed that they have never heard or had a problem with the OEM trans cooler lines NOT connecting to their radiators. Cooline the people that I bought it from ($170.00 + Ca salesTax) promptly replaced it with another unit, no questions asked. Thank you Steve!

96 XJ Sport,

I will keep that in mind if this oem trans cool line decides to be flakey and start to leak where it connects to the CSF inlet.

Thank you for both for the help and suggestions,

As a side note..... after replacing the (195 degree) thermostat, the original radiator, the correct lower hose with spring inside, new upper hose, and new 13# pressure relief cap.... It is happy and runs just under the 210 degree line, wether it is idling, crusing on the freeway, and that is without the elec. fan coming on. The elec fan does come on when the A/C is on and it also comes on when the cooling system prior to replacement parts was getting over 220 degrees. So now it appears that it is working as designed and staying in the correct temp range.

Bob
Old 08-07-2009, 11:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

glad you got it worked out