Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Tips on replacing my oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 09:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Tips on replacing my oil pan

I've had an oil leak since about December and it hasn't really bothered me until I noticed it was getting larger and dripping onto the exhaust and I got tired of the burning oil smell. So, I started with the valve cover gasket. Replaced it and it was still leaking. Went to the oil filter adapter rings next. Since the starter is covered I figured well yeah that makes sense then so I'll do that next. Upon trying to take it apart, my t-60 torx bit is way too tall to fit in there with a big enough ratchet to undo the bolt. So I said oh well. I'll let the dealership handle this one. Took it there and after a bunch of other drama that is irrelevant to the actual problem, it was concluded that the oil pan has a small hole rusted in it and that is actually where it's leaking from. The service guy gave me this whole BS story about how they would have to heat up and bend the exhaust to get the oil pan down to replace it.

So...I read through my FSM and it does say that you need to disconnect the exhaust at the cats and take the starter out. I'm just gonna do this myself anyways so has anyone actually had to remove theses components to get the pan out? The starter won't be that bad since I need to take it off and clean it anyways from all the oil and gunk caked on it. I'm just a little leary about the exhaust. The FSM also said the engine flywheel and tranny torque converter housing access cover. I have access to a vehicle lift so everything will be easy to get to with it being in the air. Just need some advice on what really needs to be removed to get the old oil pan out this weekend hopefully.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Not having done it myself on a 00/01 and the exhaust, cats setup I would have to agree with the FSM. The mechanic was lazy talking about bending the exhaust out of the way and the problems it could cause. The bolts may/will be difficult to remove but take your time using heat to do the job back and forth till it comes loose using PB blaster beforehand.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000

I still think the oil filter adapter could be leaking as well. However the oil pan is the biggest one at the moment. I was out of town for a little more than a week and when I got back the puddle was pretty large.

Tips on replacing my oil pan-image-1382695018.jpg

So this to me is a constant leak which would make sense for it to be the oil pan since its at the very bottom and can leak without the vehicle running. I wouldn't think the filter adapter would leak nothing more than what seeps out while it's running. In turn it shouldn't have left a puddle this large if if was in fact the adapter.