Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

94 won't crank won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 06:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default 94 won't crank won't start

Heres the skinny.
I have a 94 4.0 auto.
Have been using every couple few days for the past few months.
The engine has been starting and running with no problems, until a month ago. If i let the truck sit for more than 2 days the battery? ( i think) would go dead. Put the charger on a few times until i had time to look at, and started without issue. Now i take the Cherokee to my friends house, wont crank, wont start. Try to jump start. No luck. Idiot lights come on, but will not crank. Did i mention i need help? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Your battery could be shot. You have seen symptoms, but it might be the end of the line.

Try installing a different battery. There are ways your battery can fail where even a jump can't start the engine. Or have your battery "load tested" by any parts store (free)

If your battery is old and giving you trouble, just bite the bullet and get a new one. Don't buy an "el-cheapo". Most mid range batteries are fine for the XJ.

All electrical life starts with a good battery and all signs point to your current battery as the culprit.

Last edited by tjwalker; 10-16-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:15 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L

The interior lights come on and no crank with a jump. Very possibly could be your battery, esp if its been repeatedly jump started, but if you have a Voltmeter, check the battery voltage, if over 12 volts, then check it at the starter. If still over 12 volts, would do a voltage drop test, or tap the starter solenoid a little, or jump the terminals at the starter. Food for thought if the battery tests good.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:24 PM

Engine: 4.0

I don't know if this helps, and I don't have my factory manual here, but in the relay & fuse center on the right inner fender area, I saw a relay labelled "start" in there.
Maybe someone here will know if that has to do with your problem.

Bill
Old 10-16-2014, 09:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Might be more than just a drain or bad battery....Does it click?

If you hold the key over, and jiggle the shifter in park or neutral and it starts, it's your NSS. http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neut...ty-switch-nss/
Old 10-17-2014, 05:36 PM
CF Veteran

TJ-I charged the battery. no go.
I pulled the battery from my wife's Grand and installed. no go.
LILWAR-idiot lights come on when key is turned.checked old battery, its ok. tried replacing. It does not click when the key is turned. no go. did not jump to the starter yet. getting dark.
STEELY- fuses look ok but did not pull.
FLINTSTONE-that is a nice write up for the neutral safety switch(NSS). thank you. I thought I would start simple first. I wanted to check the connections first. I could not tell which connector was correct,next to the trans dipstick, so I disconnected all three, cleaned, added di-electric grease and reassembled. I have 1 black and 1 gray rectangle, 1 oval black connector next to the dipstick. no go. Next I want to loosen the mounting bolt for the NSS and adjust to determine if I can get it to start before taking off the trans. Getting dark. I do have reverse lights with the key on.
Could I have reverse lights, and still not start?
Thanks for all your comments.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:49 PM
CF Veteran

Yes. I gather the trick to adjusting it is that you set it so you have both reverse lights and it starts only in park and neutral. I've been busy!

CF...please do chime in when you can!
Old 10-22-2014, 08:07 AM
CF Veteran

Thanks flintstone.
I am going to try the NSS adjustment next. Cleaned the entire area with brake-clean and PB Blastered the mounting bolt, but Weather has been lousy.
I did try to jump directly to the starter with no results. I assume the starter would not spin if the NSS was defective or not adjusted properly?
Old 10-22-2014, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by madmanmarty
I assume the starter would not spin if the NSS was defective or not adjusted properly?
No! What the NSS does is ground the start relay so when it gets juiced from the key, it shoots power out to the small solonoid terminal on the starter.

If you jump power to that terminal, (or the other end of that green wire at the relay), it should crank. CAREFUL! It will start in gear also!
Old 10-24-2014, 02:09 PM
CF Veteran

Got it started today!
Thanks to Guest02 i ruled out the ignition switch by having my interior fan on while i turned the key to start. The fan shut off while trying to start.switch ok.

Thanks to Flintstone i went back to the starter. The starter and solenoid were completly covered in thick oil and road grease. I sprayed the starter & solenoid with brake cleaner. Paid particular attention to the wire connections on the solenoid. Tapped the solenoid while my son turned the key. Started right up.
Thanks to everyone that helped.
Now on to the valve cover gasket to stop the oil from leaking on the starter.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:31 PM
CF Veteran

Well Thanks! BUT If a starter works after a whack.. there is a problem. Normally it's time for a new starter. Give her a go, fix the leaks. Cruiser has suggested taking the starter apart and cleaning it. Makes sense to me.

Be sure to check the oil filter adapter O rings....

OIL FILTER ADAPTER O RINGS http://www.myjeepxj.com/cherokee-rep...filter-adapter And a link with torx.. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/oi...o-ring-127359/
Old 10-25-2014, 09:18 AM
CF Veteran

Flintstone. Mine started after tapping on the solinoid. I have read on this forum that once the solinoid goes u must replace the starter/solinoid as a unit. True? FYI, the truck has 109K, & i do have a not so good oil leak out of the valve cover gasket (confirmed,have parts), & possibly ( but cant tell for sure due to the VCG leak) a oil filter adapter leak. Can i clean the solinoid/starter & have function back?
Old 10-25-2014, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

Old solenoids, you could disassemble and clean. Now it's a crimped housing.

I bought one from Napa once...I ended up chasing my tail there as I ended up getting a new starter anyway. (I DID save that new solonoid!)