Modified Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ,WJ & WK aftermarket tech goes here All Modified, NON-OEM tech goes here. IE:Aftermarket Lifts, Shocks, Tires, Performance, etc..

Intermittent Starting 99 GC Laredo

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.7 V8
Post Intermittent Starting 99 GC Laredo

First time posting here been having an issue with my GC recently. Starting off, I had blown my head gaskets last Fall after a heater core bypass leaked my coolant, and I fixed that and it has been running smooth since then until about 2 months ago. It didn't want to start every time and most times when it did i had to gas it while turning the key (fuel gauge also started only working intermittently, don't know if it is related). After doing a lot of research most people were saying sensors or fuel. So, I replaced the TPS, ICV, Camshaft position sensor, fuel filter, coolant temp sensor as well as the electrical contacts for the battery and alternator. After all of this it is better as long as the car hadn't been running for too long within the last 45 minutes. Now, my issue is it will not start if the engine is at temperature and sits for 5 minutes or longer and every time it starts it takes a little bit to be able to accelerate properly, before that is kind of stutters a bit when I give it gas.The gas gauge still only works off and on. Any tips or information on this is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Any codes? Did you do a fuel pressure test? Did you replace the cam sensor or the crank sensor?