Modified Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ,WJ & WK aftermarket tech goes here All Modified, NON-OEM tech goes here. IE:Aftermarket Lifts, Shocks, Tires, Performance, etc..

Hood Vents - do they work??

Old 07-31-2017, 04:29 PM

Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Hood Vents - do they work??

i take the family out on occasion and they like the air conditioning, which can overheat the jeep on long climbs or when slow moving. To quantify what i mean by overheating it does not get real hot just goes slightly above 210 and maybe will climb a hair more but since the needle is moving in the wrong direction it makes me uncomfortable so i shut down the air. i have been thinking about installing some hood vents to keep the motor cool so i can continue running the air for the family. do they make a difference in reducing engine temps or should i focus in another area?
Old 07-31-2017, 07:00 PM
CF Veteran

Model: Cherokee

I would flush the coolant system to make sure its clean,If that don't fix it try adding some water wetter that stuff can drop your temp about 20 degrees.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:49 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 5.9L 360 ci

Did you ever make any decision? I like the idea of the vents, and it cant possibly hurt anything. If you're on Instagram check out @daddy_fox1 He recently installed some VOLVO Semi Truck Hood Vents on his ZJ, and they turned out SICK. And their on AMAZON for only $75
Old 05-04-2018, 03:38 PM

Year: 1996

I have not installed the vents. I had read that the vents dont do anything significant to reduce temps after posting the question. I thought about vents+oil cooler with fan (plumbed into the oil filter) but at that point the system becomes too complicated and invites failure.

i did add some water wetter but could not tell the difference. My thoughts at this point are to install a larger radiator but i think it will have to be custom made as i dont see any larger ones for sale on ebay or Amazon.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:23 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 5.9L 360 ci

Originally Posted by jon-d View Post
I have not installed the vents. I had read that the vents dont do anything significant to reduce temps after posting the question. I thought about vents+oil cooler with fan (plumbed into the oil filter) but at that point the system becomes too complicated and invites failure.

i did add some water wetter but could not tell the difference. My thoughts at this point are to install a larger radiator but i think it will have to be custom made as i dont see any larger ones for sale on ebay or Amazon.
I wouldn't imagine that hood vents really ever make a major difference, but in a high load condition, at low speeds (crawling), it should do something to allow more heat to dissipate.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:02 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

There is a little bit of a science to venting hoods besides just punching holes in them. If you want maximum cooling on the highway, you need to vent the hood where there is a vacuum so engine compartment air is pulled out. Where most people vent hoods is a neutral place or a place if high pressure, which will not help you on the highway. The place of vacuum is where the air breaks over the hood. Back by the windshield is a high pressure area which is why muscle cars used to draw air for a carbureted engine there. They could get a little more air at speed and a few extra ponies. These are the only pics I can find of mine today for some reason. But this is the position to use. Do they work, oh yes. Sprung a coolant leak one time and watched the air/coolant flow up out of the vent. Sucked it about six inches up before splattering my windshield really quick so bad I couldn't see.
Attached Thumbnails Hood Vents - do they work??-img_1237_zpsudqwq5ui.jpg   Hood Vents - do they work??-img_1272_zpsxz0pxpvb.jpg  
Old 05-06-2018, 04:28 PM

Year: 1999

Was about to do this on my JK, never thought about the WJ. Subbed...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description: