Modified Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ,WJ & WK aftermarket tech goes here All Modified, NON-OEM tech goes here. IE:Aftermarket Lifts, Shocks, Tires, Performance, etc..

driveshaft broke ;(

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default driveshaft broke ;(

so the CV joint on my 01 WJ driveshaft broke. I can't afford a new one, or to have it rebuilt. Can a driveshaft from a 97+ Cherokee fit on my wj?
my jeep is lifted 2-3 inches. I tried to get Carolina Driveline to rebuild it, and they told me they would, but when I got there, they refused to mess with it because its lifted.
help!

YES I KNOW I CAN CONVERT IT, but the question is how different are the lengths, etc?
Old 04-22-2019, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

I dont know if a 2-3" lift matters much with a WJ as i dont deal with this sort of thing, but looking up a CV for a 2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) on Rockauto, it says 1999-2004 Grand Cherokee. No other models are listed. You can buy them from Rockauto, but they are not Mopar. They run less than $100. And thats with a core charge.

To be sure, when you say CV on your driveshaft, do you mean the shaft between the transfer case and axle (driveshaft), or the shafts between the axle and the wheel (halfshafts)? Ive seen others call the halfshaft a driveshaft and vice versa. If it is the driveshaft you need, Rockauto sells the front driveshaft only. If i am reading correctly, they come in different lengths. I can only assume the rear also come in different lengths.

So what broke, exactly? And what was the shop going to charge?

Last edited by fb97xj1; 04-22-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:38 PM

It’s the one between the transfer case and the axle. So the front shaft. The CV joint to the transfer case is what broke.

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
I dont know if a 2-3" lift matters much with a WJ as i dont deal with this sort of thing, but looking up a CV for a 2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) on Rockauto, it says 1999-2004 Grand Cherokee. No other models are listed. You can buy them from Rockauto, but they are not Mopar. They run less than $100. And thats with a core charge.

To be sure, when you say CV on your driveshaft, do you mean the shaft between the transfer case and axle (driveshaft), or the shafts between the axle and the wheel (halfshafts)? Ive seen others call the halfshaft a driveshaft and vice versa. If it is the driveshaft you need, Rockauto sells the front driveshaft only. If i am reading correctly, they come in different lengths. I can only assume the rear also come in different lengths.

So what broke, exactly? And what was the shop going to charge?
Old 04-25-2019, 04:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Any junk yards near you?
Old 04-25-2019, 06:39 AM

Yeah, there’s a couple.

Originally Posted by Big David
Any junk yards near you?
Old 05-04-2019, 12:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

If I understand correctly, you have a Rezeppa type front driveshaft? They are not designed to be used with a lift above maybe 1". A 2-3" lift will definitely snap them. It can easily be rebuilt for about 30 bucks from parts on line but IT WILL FAIL again. Its the wrong part for your set up. You need to convert to a double Cardone shaft. Time to get another job....
Old 05-09-2019, 08:15 AM

I actually found that a drive shaft from a v8 ZJ will fit as long as i change out the yokes. but i work part time at this company because there were never any full time positions available, but i love the company. So when a full Tim position comes available, I’ll be on it like white on rice.
Originally Posted by blueseasons
If I understand correctly, you have a Rezeppa type front driveshaft? They are not designed to be used with a lift above maybe 1". A 2-3" lift will definitely snap them. It can easily be rebuilt for about 30 bucks from parts on line but IT WILL FAIL again. Its the wrong part for your set up. You need to convert to a double Cardone shaft. Time to get another job....