Modified Grand Cherokee Tech. All ZJ,WJ & WK aftermarket tech goes here All Modified, NON-OEM tech goes here. IE:Aftermarket Lifts, Shocks, Tires, Performance, etc..

Distributor differences between 98 and 97 ZJ's

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Distributor differences between 98 and 97 ZJ's

I have a situation here, I have a 98 ZJ Laredo with the 4.0 Liter engine and recently had to replace the engine, I got a used 97 engine and after being installed had seemed to work fine for awhile however it started sounding a bit rough and when starting on a cold engine it would shake the whole engine. Then one day when accelerating from stop it backfired and sputtered, would not restart. Took it to a shop and they said the distributor was all torn up and needed to be replaced. After replacing it they still could not get it running properly and suggested I take it to the dealership, which I did. They replaced the CPS and distributor plate. I noticed all parts that were installed were for the 98 Jeep yet I now have a 97 engine. Could this be the cause of the issue I now have and if so what would I need to do to remedy the situation to get the Jeep running again?
I am needing to find out the mechanical and electrical differences between the following parts. 56041030 vs 56027023 (distributor switch plate) and the 56041034 vs 56027028 (distributor) My 98 jeep had the parts for the 98 installed yet the engine is from a 97. Obviously the 98 parts physically fit on the 97 engine, however what would the effect if any be on using these parts?