Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Viper Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 09:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0, 6.0 in the works
Default Viper Alarm

My 98 had a viper alarm hooked up when I bought it. Everything works like it should but I think I'd like to get rid of it. I know I should probably take it to a viper dealer/installer and get them to do it but I though I'd ask if anyone knows anything about it before I spend money to have it removed.

Did my Jeep come with a factory fob to lock/unlock the doors? What I hate is that if my viper fob stops working, and I unlock the doors with the key, the alarm will go off and the engine will not start. It doesn't seem very Jeep like to have that potential to get stranded.

What should I do? Learn to remove it myself or take it to an installer?
Old 11-13-2015, 10:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I have a viper system in my jeep and I've never had those problems.... Maybe you could just remove a couple wires or something so the alarm won't go off and the engine will start...
Old 11-13-2015, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should have a valet button under the dash for that issue. You simply press it once and the alarm will shut off. It might take a bit to find it as its meant to be hidden. Or just don't activate it and lock your doors manually.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Removing it yourself isn't hard if you decide you want to get rid of it. But if you want to keep the keyless entry you have some options. You can also download a manual from viper's web site and put it in valet mode which will disable the alarm functions. Or you can remove parts of the alarm to permanently disable the alarm functions. The starter wire will be the only factory wire that's been cut so reconnect it and the alarm can never interfere with starting. You can also cut the siren wires under the hood and remove the siren without affecting the rest of the system.

If you want to pull the whole thing just find the brain (should be obvious) unplug the harness's and trace the wires back to their connection points and undo them

Insulate any exposed copper you leave behind.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:13 PM

I've never looked for the valet button. I'll check that out. I like the alarm for protecting what's inside my Jeep more than I worry about someone stealing it. If I can override the no start feature, I'll feel better.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: I6 4.0L

As previously mentioned you have lots of different options.

You can pull the main fuse to the alarm brain which would disable the alarm entirely. Make sure the alarm is disarmed before you pull the fuse.

If you want to keep keyless entry you should probably just keep it hooked up and in valet mode. Then, there should be a starter kill relay hooked up to the ignition wire. You need to remove the relay and reconnect the ignition wire with solder or a butt connector. This will prevent you from being stranded.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by The91XJ
As previously mentioned you have lots of different options.

You can pull the main fuse to the alarm brain which would disable the alarm entirely. Make sure the alarm is disarmed before you pull the fuse.

If you want to keep keyless entry you should probably just keep it hooked up and in valet mode. Then, there should be a starter kill relay hooked up to the ignition wire. You need to remove the relay and reconnect the ignition wire with solder or a butt connector. This will prevent you from being stranded.
I'm starting to lean towards just keeping the whole thing. I may just find that starter relay so I know what to do if I so get stranded. I guess if I understand it then I won't be scared of it.