Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Stalling when starting /ECM issues 91 Jeep Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 cyl 4.0 L
Question Stalling when starting /ECM issues 91 Jeep Cherokee

Hi All,

Having starting/stalling issues with my 91 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4 automatic 4.0 L 6 cyl in Kailua Kona Hawaii.

When I go to start the Jeep it starts up for a second or two, then stalls out. My mechanic thought it was the ECM, so replaced that from RockAuto with Cardone brand ECM. Installed and Jeep started right up for about a month, then started doing the same stalling (mechanic could get no reading from the ECM with his scan tool). Returned ECM and got a replacement from same company under warranty. Started fine for a few weeks and now its stalling out again. Waiting on my mechanic to come over with his scan tool to try and get a reading from the ECM. Wondering if this is another bad ECM or something else?

Replaced the distributor cap and rotor also.

Its fickle, sometimes if I rev the engine, I can get it to catch and not stall out. It does NOT stall out when I'm driving, only when starting it up.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.