Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Need Tips to Modify Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4L IL6
Default Need Tips to Modify Sound System

Hey everyone,

My 89 XJ has the original radio and overall sound system. I’ve been wanting to upgrade to be able to play music from my phone via Bluetooth or a patch cord. For playing music from my phone, what would be my best option? Should I get a new radio that has Bluetooth, or could I just wire in a cord to my current radio to plug into my phone? I’m open to innovative ideas, just nothing crazy expensive!

Thanks
Old 09-26-2018, 01:52 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

I'd suggest a trip to your local Best Buy or any electronics store really. The most basic modern stereo will be a nice upgrade from an '89 player. Find the right knowledgeable clerk and they can answer your questions and show you the best options for what exactly you want to do.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

heck a walmart radio would be a big step up from a factory 1989 radio lol
Old 09-26-2018, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.0 6 cyl

Jeepsus, last year I decided to bite the bullet, and replace my entire system, in my 2002 JGC. After the CRAPPY factory speakers, one by one stop working.
I contacted Crutchfield for my research and info. I must say those folks have really got it right. Everything from, many choices to tech help 24-7 for install, etc.
I purchased a Pioneer head unit, not expensive at all. All the newer units will accommodate everything you are looking for, at a reasonable price. Give them a look.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:32 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

There's unfortunately no way to add an aux input onto the factory radio... even if there was, it'd be more expensive to get one wired in than to just go to a website such as Crutchfield (who also gives you the wiring harness you'll need for FREE) and purchase a Bluetooth-capable aftermarket head unit for under $100. If you DON'T need a CD player, you can get one with just Bluetooth, USB, and aux inputs and save a bit of money that way. While you're at it, with all the money you'll save, go ahead and grab 2 pairs of new 5.25" (5 x 1/4") speakers (which will ALSO include the wiring harnesses and mounting adapters you need for FREE) and upgrade those 30-year-old paper cone speakers that have probably seen better days.

-Vince
Old 09-27-2018, 05:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by 94zj318
There's unfortunately no way to add an aux input onto the factory radio... even if there was, it'd be more expensive to get one wired in than to just go to a website such as Crutchfield (who also gives you the wiring harness you'll need for FREE) and purchase a Bluetooth-capable aftermarket head unit for under $100. If you DON'T need a CD player, you can get one with just Bluetooth, USB, and aux inputs and save a bit of money that way. While you're at it, with all the money you'll save, go ahead and grab 2 pairs of new 5.25" (5 x 1/4") speakers (which will ALSO include the wiring harnesses and mounting adapters you need for FREE) and upgrade those 30-year-old paper cone speakers that have probably seen better days.

-Vince
Not entirely true. I would not spend this much but....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Je...del%3ACherokee

I figured why pay that when I could try to do it myself. My electrical skills are slim and none but I got a buddy who is pretty good. Since these type of radios are a dime a dozen where I am I figured I would grab one and try using this write up:

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/9...radio-diy.html

Thing is before I tried to do it I found this set up on Ebay for $40: That black DIN connector, think that is what you call them, is really for the radio to operate the 6 CD Changer that was a dealer installed option. Instead that iSimple device plugs into it and lets me play my music off my 160GB iPod. And it does not use the headphone jack and charges my iPod also. No idea how happy this made me being able to keep my Jeep Jeep. Now of course that write up is not going to help with a radio from an '89.

Last edited by Ralph77; 09-27-2018 at 05:17 PM.