Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Manual Heater Blower Switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0HO
Default Manual Heater Blower Switch

ive removed the climate control panel to put my rigs control panel there. heat still works but how can i manully wire up the blower to a switch in the cab. its pretty cold in the woods this time of year
Old 02-02-2018, 12:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

How fancy you trying to go? You want ON/OFF or you want the stock variable speed? ASSuming the XJ heater switch is like every other car I've messed with, you have a resistor assembly (typically mounted in the air box in the path of the air to cool it, either under dash or under hood), possibly a relay, and the switch. Low speed goes through both relays, medium speed goes through just one relay, high speed goes through the relay (or straight to blower motor). Low speed has the most resistance to current flow, meaning least amount of power to the blower motor. Think of it like a garden hose - low speed is like a hose with a bunch of holes poked in it, not much water comes out the end.

So, all of that said. Pull the plug off of the stock fan switch, turn ignition key on, probe plug with a meter or test light. The lead that has power on it is the supply to the switch. Use a jumper wire to jump from supply to each connection. Should kick the fan on at the different speeds. Pick your speed, wire a switch between supply and your chosen speed. Stick switch somewhere.

How fancy you get is up to you. It isn't until I typed most of this that I saw your post date. Hope you haven't frozen to death by this point. Post back some photos of your final result.