Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Light bar interferes with CB radio?

Old 08-21-2018, 12:09 PM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Light bar interferes with CB radio?

I have a 50Ē curved light bar wired to an on/off switch. I recently installed a CB radio that works fine until you turn on the light bar. As soon as I turn on the light bar, thereís an awful, loud, patchy static noise that comes through the radio. I think the light bar must be interfering with the antenna somehow. Itís kind of annoying because I canít use them both at the same time. Iíve recently noticed it actually interferes with the OEM stereo in the same way when Iím listening to an FM station. I donít really know how to go about fixing this, if I even can. Could someone help me out? Thanks.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:00 AM
CF Veteran

Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I would assume you don't have a strong ground for the lightbar or it's possible that the light bar is throwing out some EMI.

Is your CB antenna wire isolated from any power wires (if you run a power wire next to the CB Antenna wire, you will get interference)
Old 08-23-2018, 11:17 AM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by investinwaffles View Post
I would assume you don't have a strong ground for the lightbar or it's possible that the light bar is throwing out some EMI.

Is your CB antenna wire isolated from any power wires (if you run a power wire next to the CB Antenna wire, you will get interference)
The only power wires the antenna is close to is the power to the CB itself.

I was actually considering using some ferrite chokes, like the ones on laptop charger cords. Theyíre supposed to suppress electromagnetic noise I guess