Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Help: 89 XJ LTD Speaker Replacements (again :))

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 02:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I-6, 4l
Default Help: 89 XJ LTD Speaker Replacements (again :))

Did some searching on this but didn't find anything to suit my exact needs.

I have a 89 XJ Limited two door with completely shot original OEM 5 1/4 in speakers - one each in the driver and passenger doors, and two in the back hatch door. (On a completely unrelated note - the original bill of sale shows a 6 speaker system installed with grill 'holes' in the dash for two additional speakers which aren't actually there - I bought the truck new in 89 so I'm not sure how I evaporated those two additional speakers ).

In any case, I replaced the head unit many years ago with a better unit (that included a CD Deck) and added an external 35w x 4channel amp which was really too much for the original speakers but I left things as they were (I just kept the output turned down, i.e. turned up until they smoked then backed off an eight of a turn ).

Well the speakers are are really shot now and I'd like to replace them with some new 5 1/4's which will handle the 35w amp output and which won't break the bank. The key requirement is that I want to keep things simple, i.e. install the new speakers in the original holes and use the original grills. Many of the new speakers that I look at seem to have raised tweaters which would prevent the use of the original grills.

Anyone have any recommendations on speakers that would fit the above bill?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I just put some pioneer 5.25's in my doors. They were a xmas gift, but I think they are around $40-$50. They sound decent. Much better than stock. Not sure what your budget is.There are quite a few speakers in that price range, and I would think they are all going to sound better than the originals....and FWIW 6.5's will probably fit with no modification....in fact the 5.25 pioneers have a smaller outside diameter than the OEM speakers. I had a pair of 6.5 pioneers that I had put in the door to test them and they fit better than the 5.25's.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:57 PM

Hi Mike:

Thanks for your note.

Can you clarify what you mean by the 6.5's fitting? Do you mean: aside from new screw holes they fit right in the existing holes for the 5.25's and still fit flush with the door so that the original door grilles could be used? Would it be goofy to use 6.5's with the original grills - presumably part of the speaker would be covered by the door panel?

Also: is there a greater risk that the depth of 6.5 speakers would interfere with the windows?

Originally Posted by mikesignal
I just put some pioneer 5.25's in my doors. They were a xmas gift, but I think they are around $40-$50. They sound decent. Much better than stock. Not sure what your budget is.There are quite a few speakers in that price range, and I would think they are all going to sound better than the originals....and FWIW 6.5's will probably fit with no modification....in fact the 5.25 pioneers have a smaller outside diameter than the OEM speakers. I had a pair of 6.5 pioneers that I had put in the door to test them and they fit better than the 5.25's.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:05 PM

speaker depth will be critical for the window, but if I remember the 5.25's were deeper than the 6.5's....From what I've read many 6.5's are pretty shallow. (not an expert here) I guess you could roll the window down, remove the door panel, remove the speaker, and measure the clearance needed..Maybe someone already knows that info.....also measure the cut out width (circumference of the hole) ...the pioneer 6.5's I had mounted in the original holes. I didn't put the door panel back on, because I was just testing the speaker, but I think it was flush enough to get the door panel on with no modification. You don't need the speaker grills.

honestly I wouldn't make things too complicated---I would just get some 6.5's and throw them in.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:19 PM

I just ordered these. going to put them in the back. Amazon has them for $72

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...Size/TS-D1602R

the 5.25 I have are ts-A575. they are ok...
Old 02-07-2016, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by mikesignal
I just ordered these. going to put them in the back. Amazon has them for $72

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...Size/TS-D1602R

the 5.25 I have are ts-A575. they are ok...
It looks like that centre tweater section might stick up to much for the OEM grills ??? Please post how you make out. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
It looks like that centre tweater section might stick up to much for the OEM grills ??? Please post how you make out. Thanks.
oem grills didn't work with the cheaper 6.5's and probably won't with these
Old 02-08-2016, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

anything will take 35w, thats high power compared to original, but most cheap aftermarkets can take up to 200-300.

This is the best thing I found for just an awesome environment for little cash.

Pioneer TS-A1305C

The woofer is a 5.25, the tweeter has to be mounted, but it has crossovers and everything in the box. Not bad for under 75 bucks

My rears are so old I dont remember the model, but they are 15 years old [pioneers].

Last edited by AbbadonTD; 02-08-2016 at 05:48 PM.