I need some advice on an XJ "replacement"

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 08:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default I need some advice on an XJ "replacement"

I've had my 98 XJ for about 5 years as my daily driver. I love it. It's not any crazy build. Just a 2" OME lift, Spartan, winch bumper, rebuilt ATK longblock (now with 45K) on the clock), etc. But it's in great shape for it's age and I keep it clean and well maintained.

I'm part of the senior staff at my job of 10 years, and my boss has decided that he would like me to get a newer nicer vehicle for those times when I need to haul clients around. He has decided to give me a $420 a month vehicle allowance, which after taxes is more like $350.

I don't really want to get another Jeep. I don't want to have three cars at the house (including my wife's RAV4 Sport) with one parked at the street all the time, and I don't want to pay insurance on three cars every month.

I'm almost pathologically averse to being in debt, and have enjoyed the last several years with my mortgage as my only debt. The $350 will only cover about half the monthly payment of a new JKU or Grand Cherokee. I was thinking about going slightly used, but it's been impossible to find a WK2 GC with the Quadra-TracII or Quadra Drive systems without buying an Overland or some other package that has a whole lot of electronic gizmos and leather that I really don't want. I don't really want a JKU. I had an '02 TJ for 10 years, and I don't miss the road noise, rough ride, etc. They also cost a fortune to customize and keep decent sized tires on them. I also need something that my 150 pound mastiff can easily get in and out of the back off.

What are your thoughts on a WK? I know my boss would prefer me to have something newer, but I found a super clean silver 2007 Limited 4x4 for $9000. I figure a 2" lift and some Toyo Open Country AT II's would get me by. I don't know what to expect from the 4.7, other than I checked with ATK and they are about $4600 for a rebuilt vs. $1900 for a 4.0.

I found a super clean 2006 Liberty with only 65K miles for $6000, but my wife said I looked like a sissy driving it and it was too much of a "chick" car. Don't suggest a non-Jeep. As you'll see from the photos, I'm definitely a Jeep guy.

I wish Jeep would bring back the XJ with the Pentastar and 5-speed auto from the JK. The XJ has been the perfect blend of exterior size, interior size, capability, and ease of maintenance and working on. But I don't think I'll be able to keep mine once I get another Jeep.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If your boss wants you to get something newer for work, then they should buy a company car. It's ridiculous and frankly offensive for them to tell you to buy something new and then give you half of what it would actually cost to do it. He basically just gave you a $350/mo pay cut. Not to mention the insurance costs.

If it really is important to them, they can buy it and let you use it. Heck it can stay at the office and multiple people can use it as needed.

Warning: Crazy Person Rant Ahead

I've been a Dave Ramsey guy for all of my professional life. I've fought these kinds of battles before and what you'll find is that if they really do value you, they'll relent. My company "requires" people who travel more than twice a year (me) to get a personal AmEx and put all charges on that. Since I don't do credit cards, when it came up I basically told them that it wasn't going to happen. They could let me continue being reimbursed for expenses paid with my personal debit card, let me do everything remotely, or find someone else. Seven years later, I'm still there and still don't have an AmEx
Old 02-06-2016, 10:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by wizardpc
If your boss wants you to get something newer for work, then they should buy a company car. It's ridiculous and frankly offensive for them to tell you to buy something new and then give you half of what it would actually cost to do it. He basically just gave you a $350/mo pay cut. Not to mention the insurance costs.

If it really is important to them, they can buy it and let you use it. Heck it can stay at the office and multiple people can use it as needed.

Warning: Crazy Person Rant Ahead

I've been a Dave Ramsey guy for all of my professional life. I've fought these kinds of battles before and what you'll find is that if they really do value you, they'll relent. My company "requires" people who travel more than twice a year (me) to get a personal AmEx and put all charges on that. Since I don't do credit cards, when it came up I basically told them that it wasn't going to happen. They could let me continue being reimbursed for expenses paid with my personal debit card, let me do everything remotely, or find someone else. Seven years later, I'm still there and still don't have an AmEx

^This, if they can give you that vehicle allowance, they could lease you a vehicle for that meets their requirements of being "nice enough for clients", assuming this vehicle allowance is ongoing you could lease a nice vehicle for that as well, but the lease should really be in the company's name so that you aren't left on the hook for the remainder of the lease should you "part ways" with your company. I don't know how often you have to transport clients, but if it is only a couple times a month it would probably be cheaper for them to just pay for a rental car for you to use those days you need to transport clients, if this is the case you can bring it up and show them how much money they would save just using a rental when needed.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

Agree with the above statements. $350 for a nice car will ba a lease, what about the down, and mileage overages (since you're supposed to haul clients around)? I'd suggest that I be paid by the company and in the company's name.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wizardpc

"let me do everything remotely"
Between your screen name and that statement, I suspect your work in the IT field?

I do. I'm the lone IT gunslinger for both the companies my boss owns. A total of 80-ish users in two locations. I have 7 servers, 47 PC's, 7 laptops, 2 Surface Pros, 15 printers, and roughly 65 smartphones I'm responsible for, in addition to my involvement in some aspects of sales, inventory control, and process management.

Your point of him effectively giving me a monthly pay cut is a good one and quite valid. I try to balance that with the fact that my boss pays me very well. Roughly 35% more than what a typical SysAdmin makes in my area.

The bottom line for me is that the new vehicle I want doesn't exist right now. I want a steel-bumpered Jeep with and actual lever you pull to put it into 4 Low, but I don't want a Wrangler. I've considered looking at some Commanders. They have plenty of space, and a solid rear axle. But there's almost no aftermarket support/parts for them, and then there's that electronic transfer case control...
I love the simplicity of the XJ. I've owned a ton of different cars, including three other Jeeps, and the XJ is by far my favorite.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Maybe you could convince your boss to let you use the money to update your jeep. Clean up the interior with some aftermarket seats, if the paint is bad re paint and such. Everyone who's gotten in my jeep and not known much about cars thinks it's much newer than it actually is.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:56 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997

Take a look at the second gen Liberty KK. We have owned a 2012 since new and have a little over 50k on it. It isnt an XJ but side by side you can see the designers really tried to make it similar. I dont like the first gen but the KK is about as close as you can get with a new one IMO.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

5 yrs. ago I bought my first Jeep a 04 WJ Overland Edition with every option offered by Jeep that year. It has everything our 13 Town Car has and even a few more options as for looks it a Black Pearl Metal flake with Blk/Gray leather interior, spotless inside and out. It has the 4.7HO engine and over 200,000 mi. on it and runs perfect.

It is one of those SUV's that you would not be ashamed to take anyone anywhere in only disadvantage to it and my Town Car is less leg room for me 6'4 1/2" frame. The 04 WJ's were the last of the good GC's made IMHO and the 03/04's being the best years engine wise for both 4.0, 4.7HO a real little power house V-8. Prices are very reasonable and good one can be found if you shop around and buy from an owner.
Name:  IMG_0043_zps21b1b068.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  113.3 KB
Old 02-07-2016, 12:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been thinking... Have you had a thorough discussion about what "something newer" means to them? If you buy an 07, are they going to say next year "well that's ten years old now, you need to get something newer."
Old 02-07-2016, 01:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I agree with the other dave ramsey listener. tell them to either give you a company purchased car to drive while you work for them, only to be used when conducting business, or give you a one time check for a vehicle, but have them specify what to get so that way they cannot complain about what you get.

as a side note, if you are looking for a new inexpensive vehicle, look at a jeep patriot. They are comfortable, reliable, with lots of room, and lot of space to haul stuff around in, and probably the cheapest awd you can buy (especially with current incentives), and if optioned correctly, quite off road capable. Its no XJ, but if its just a work vehicle paid for by work, you probably won't be taking it off road anyways.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by macgyver35
Between your screen name and that statement, I suspect your work in the IT field?

I do. I'm the lone IT gunslinger for both the companies my boss owns. A total of 80-ish users in two locations. I have 7 servers, 47 PC's, 7 laptops, 2 Surface Pros, 15 printers, and roughly 65 smartphones I'm responsible for, in addition to my involvement in some aspects of sales, inventory control, and process management.

Your point of him effectively giving me a monthly pay cut is a good one and quite valid. I try to balance that with the fact that my boss pays me very well. Roughly 35% more than what a typical SysAdmin makes in my area.

The bottom line for me is that the new vehicle I want doesn't exist right now. I want a steel-bumpered Jeep with and actual lever you pull to put it into 4 Low, but I don't want a Wrangler. I've considered looking at some Commanders. They have plenty of space, and a solid rear axle. But there's almost no aftermarket support/parts for them, and then there's that electronic transfer case control...
I love the simplicity of the XJ. I've owned a ton of different cars, including three other Jeeps, and the XJ is by far my favorite.
I am sure your boss would consider leasing some cheap, but new econobox like a Rav4 or Toyota Camry or something. I am sure he expenses his current car to the company so it is kind of "expected" that you will provide at least a few company vehicles when you reach ~80 employees.
As someone else said - just park it at the office and it can be a shared company vehicle.

I work for an IT Consulting firm and we only have 10 employees total and are already considering getting a few company vehicles. My boss says I can't take clients in my truck until I get fender flares and replace the muddy carpets, but all of my clients love my rig and I usually get a lot of questions on it which is a good ice breaker/conversation starter. Plus I get to expense car washes before client meetings

Name:  DSC06075.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  186.4 KB
Old 02-08-2016, 11:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you take out more than one person at a time? That looks like a great Jeep to move one client around in. If you have to move more than just you and one client, yeah, I can see it. The back doors are difficult for anyone older than 12.

x3 or 4 or whatever on them getting you a lease. Well paid or not, if you have to have a certain vehicle for clients, they can pay for the lease and insurance.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:10 PM
kgm
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

Maybe he'd like you to live in a nicer house too. He can comp you an additional 2000 a month. I think it used to be called a raise before we all had to beg for work!
Old 02-09-2016, 07:32 AM
CF Veteran

I would tell the boss get me a company car and give me the keys to it.I wouldn't want it in my name if they are paying for it that don't sound right to me when its used for work.It sounds like hes trying to get around the legal responsibilities of a company car by letting you have it in your name.And you might want to check with your insurance about you hauling people around also.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:35 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
I would tell the boss get me a company car and give me the keys to it.I wouldn't want it in my name if they are paying for it that don't sound right to me when its used for work.It sounds like hes trying to get around the legal responsibilities of a company car by letting you have it in your name.And you might want to check with your insurance about you hauling people around also.

Yes this brings a much different degree of liability insurance to bare on you making it for business use. I should have thought of this before also as we have to carry it on our trucks 1 car and the WJ as they are listed as company/business cars for several reasons. The insurance is about 35-40% more on them listed as business and carrying customers at times. Your boss should know that and a company car is the only way to go in your case.

Quick Reply: I need some advice on an XJ "replacement"