Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Faded Keyless Entry and New Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Faded Keyless Entry and New Alarm

Over the last year my keyless entry has been working less and less and now doesn't work at all. I have tried new batteries and remotes. I now believe it is the receiver in the Jeep going bad. I was wondering if I bought an alarm kit (looking at Viper with remote start, etc.) if this would replace the stock receiver in the Jeep functionally and things might start working again. I would rather spend a little more and get an upgrade than just buy a stock part. Any suggestions on this idea or if I should look at another cause of the issues before jumping into an alarm? I have never installed an alarm so I am not sure how they work and are set up.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998

I have the Avital 5103 remote start. It's a DEI product so it's essentially a viper with a different sticker on it.

Easy to install and you don't have to remove the stock keyless entry. You will need a couple of relays for the door locks, though. They also sell this relay module that does it and it's honestly pretty inexpensive for what it is.

You can also do this with it

But that's an advanced move.

Honestly the next time I do it I'm going with the 5303 since it's two-way.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Can't find the link right now but there someone selling rebuilt stock units for a reasonable price, if someone knows of it please post.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:47 PM

Thanks for the responses. Do you need a relay for each door?

If anyone knows more about what Fred mentioned, that would be great too.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:35 PM

you need one relay for lock and one for unlock, or one relay module that I linked to earlier.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: I6 4.0L

Definitely go with a rebuilt stock unit if you can. I promise you, you don't want to install an aftermarket alarm in your XJ. They may look cool and convenient, but they're all Chinese crap that can make your jeep become stranded if installed incorrectly.

I know there used to be stock units on eBay that came with a new remote. All you have to do is replace the unit in the dome light and you're back in business.

Best of luck to you.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:26 PM

Maybe I am not using the correct search on eBay but I am not seeing anything. I know lots of people with aftermarket alarms that don't have any issues. Is there something specific to the XJ setup that makes aftermarket alarms less likely to be reliable. I notice a lot of hate in old threads on the topic. I don't want to make a mistake but am willing to spend money on my Jeep for better than stock features.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by hemicuda1313
Maybe I am not using the correct search on eBay but I am not seeing anything. I know lots of people with aftermarket alarms that don't have any issues. Is there something specific to the XJ setup that makes aftermarket alarms less likely to be reliable. I notice a lot of hate in old threads on the topic. I don't want to make a mistake but am willing to spend money on my Jeep for better than stock features.
My theory on that is that aftermarket alarms today have their antennae designed for the aluminium and plastic bodies that have bee so prevalent for the last 15 years, and installers are not accounting for that in the giant faraday cage that is an XJ.

The alarm that the PO installed on mine, the avital 3100, had an antenna that was either internal to the brain or a short ~12-18" wire connected directly to it. If you were to install that in the "standard" place under the dashboard, it's practically encased in steel. Installing an aftermarket keyless entry in the factory RKE location (inside the dome light) would help.

The more expensive models (the ones I linked with remote start) have external antennae. I get a good 1/4 mile out of mine and the antenna is mounted on the windshield just above the rear view mirror stalk.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:02 AM

Engine: 4.7 Stoker

I had the same issue with the remote on my 98, the stealership only laughed said no parts available. I bought a Viper 4105V and could not be happier with the way it works. I really like the remote start feature for the winter!
Old 06-22-2016, 02:36 PM

Thanks to both of you. Not looking to go cheap on any parts on my Jeep if they offer more value. I will follow wizardpc's advice. Thanks a bunch.