Aftermarket electrical systems Aftermarket electronics only! stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

2016 Jeep Cherokee Sport radio Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2016 Jeep Cherokee Sport radio Issues

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2016 Jeep Cherokee sport and am having issue with a Radio Upgrade stereo working in my dash. The connections match up and the Radio Upgrade radio was originally for a dodge Ram 2015. I have contacted Radio upgrade and they have not been able to help me figure the issue out. I can plug in the factory stereo and it comes right on, but as soon as I connect the aftermarket stereo It will beep as if it receiving power but the screen will stay black and is not responsive. I was wondering if anyone else is having this issue or has a fix to the issue. I do not know if it is an issue with the programming or what exactly causes the radio to not work so any thoughts on this would help out. Thanks for any assistance.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Is there some type of anti theft built into radios that are that new? Those vehicles use a canbus system. I know there are high speed and low speed canbus systems. Both radios need to be from vehicles using the same speed canbus. Also, usually you need to get the vehicle scanned at the dealer to put the proper code in to enable newer features that the old radio did not have. But usually the radio functions will work from the get go. I would look into the canbus issue.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:24 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

You have to program the radio for your specific VIN... even from another Cherokee KL the radio won't be able to communicate with the ECU (computer unit) in your Jeep without first being programmed... the RAM 1500's unit may be programmed to work with the factory options that your specific Cherokee KL does, or doesn't, have.