Who wants more power out of their 87 or 88? - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back  Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > MJ Comanche Tech. Stock & Modified.
Who wants more power out of their 87 or 88? >

Who wants more power out of their 87 or 88?

MJ Comanche Tech. Stock & Modified. MJ (86-92)
All discussion regarding the Jeep Comanche, the pickup truck related to the Cherokee platform.

Who wants more power out of their 87 or 88?

Old 04-09-2014, 08:22 AM
  #1  
::CF Moderator::
Thread Starter
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,392
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default Who wants more power out of their 87 or 88?

Confirmed over the weekend the difference in ECUs used on Renix 4.0s.

I was sure there was a difference but I used my neighbor as a guinea pig with his 87. I let him use one of my 89 to 90 ECUs as long as he installed it.

He came back from the test drive smiling from ear to ear.

Last night he installed the later model Renix TCU, I'll have a report back in a day or so.
cruiser54 is offline  
Old 04-09-2014, 12:40 PM
  #2  
CF Veteran
 
zebvance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: college station
Posts: 1,116
Year: 1988
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

Noticeable difference in power? Can you explain why, how, and how much power?
zebvance is offline  
Old 04-09-2014, 04:28 PM
  #3  
::CF Moderator::
Thread Starter
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,392
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

Yes, noticeable difference even to the non-gearhead.

87 had 173 HP, 88 had 177 HP, 89 and 90 had 182 HP.

ECU is the only difference.

I've been swapping them for years. Just got the response from my friend when I let him put an ECU from my parts Jeep into his 87 and go for a drive. He loved it.

I'm also advocating elimination the c101 connector, post 27, as a matter of course. Don't do it when you change the ECU as I'd like to see you guys experience the drivability improvements from each upgrade individually.
cruiser54 is offline  
Old 04-10-2014, 11:03 AM
  #4  
Junior Member
 
RusNorthID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hayden ID
Posts: 62
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default

Damnit cruiser you really know how to make a guy wanna kick himself in the nuts i just let one from my 90 donor xj go to the scrap yard with the shell. Ohwell looks like ill just make a trip to pull&save thanks for the info because ive been saying the Comanche is just gutless
RusNorthID is offline  
Old 04-10-2014, 11:13 AM
  #5  
Junior Member
 
RusNorthID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hayden ID
Posts: 62
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default

Considering i have the c101 would i also most likely have the 173hp ecu? Also i remember i had a 89 limited & 90 Pioneer and the 89 ecu went out i switched the 90 in and all it did was backfired. I went and bought a 89 ecu and away it went. So what I'm asking is will any renix ecu work? Or do i need to find a part number
RusNorthID is offline  
Old 04-10-2014, 05:52 PM
  #6  
::CF Moderator::
Thread Starter
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,392
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by RusNorthID View Post
Considering i have the c101 would i also most likely have the 173hp ecu? Also i remember i had a 89 limited & 90 Pioneer and the 89 ecu went out i switched the 90 in and all it did was backfired. I went and bought a 89 ecu and away it went. So what I'm asking is will any renix ecu work? Or do i need to find a part number
Don't make this too complicated.
C101 means you have an 87 or 88.

87 and 88s both benefit from the 89 to 90 ECUs.
As well, they benefit from C101 elimination. Not necessary, but strongly suggested.
cruiser54 is offline  
Old 04-10-2014, 05:53 PM
  #7  
::CF Moderator::
Thread Starter
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,392
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by RusNorthID View Post
Damnit cruiser you really know how to make a guy wanna kick himself in the nuts i just let one from my 90 donor xj go to the scrap yard with the shell. Ohwell looks like ill just make a trip to pull&save thanks for the info because ive been saying the Comanche is just gutless
Kinda why I brought this up. We need to be saving some of this good stuff.

Cash for Clunkers cost us 24,000 XJs.
cruiser54 is offline  
Old 04-10-2014, 11:20 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
RusNorthID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hayden ID
Posts: 62
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default

Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Don't make this too complicated.
C101 means you have an 87 or 88.

87 and 88s both benefit from the 89 to 90 ECUs.
As well, they benefit from C101 elimination. Not necessary, but strongly suggested.
just curious if there was a reason my 90 ecu wouldn't run my 89. I don't wanna pull a ecu that wouldn't work. And after a full tune up and ground refreshing i feel my mj is still pretty weak in comparison to my 90 i just parted (rusted badly) the only parts left where the seat belts heater core ecu(back bolt was rounded) i wish i would have taken the ecu now haha
RusNorthID is offline  
Old 04-11-2014, 12:08 AM
  #9  
::CF Moderator::
Thread Starter
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,392
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by RusNorthID View Post
just curious if there was a reason my 90 ecu wouldn't run my 89. I don't wanna pull a ecu that wouldn't work. And after a full tune up and ground refreshing i feel my mj is still pretty weak in comparison to my 90 i just parted (rusted badly) the only parts left where the seat belts heater core ecu(back bolt was rounded) i wish i would have taken the ecu now haha
Shoulda worked perfectly. Perhaps the 90 ECU was not good?
cruiser54 is offline  
Old 04-11-2014, 07:36 AM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
RusNorthID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hayden ID
Posts: 62
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default

Nope the 90 ran fine before and after lol weird
RusNorthID is offline  
Old 04-11-2014, 08:05 AM
  #11  
::CF Moderator::
Thread Starter
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,392
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by RusNorthID View Post
Nope the 90 ran fine before and after lol weird
Real weird.
cruiser54 is offline  
Old 04-11-2014, 08:37 AM
  #12  
::CF Moderator::
Thread Starter
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,392
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

Cody reported back last evening on changing his TCU from the standard 87 model to an 89 model I had from a parts Jeep.

Better shift points with less lugging and definitely noticeable.

I knew they changed the TCU after 87 due to customer complaints, and 88 and later seem to work great. My wife's 88 shifts like my 90.
cruiser54 is offline  
Old 04-11-2014, 11:48 AM
  #13  
CF Veteran
 
alpine.adrenaline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 9000 ft, CO
Posts: 1,075
Year: 1999 XJ
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default

I wonder if the same goes for the 2.5L.
alpine.adrenaline is offline  
Old 04-11-2014, 04:59 PM
  #14  
CF Veteran
 
Thexjfiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Stokesdale, NC
Posts: 1,350
Year: 89XJ,96ZJ,98ZJ,72K10
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default

Shameless plug...Ive got an 89 ECU that needs a new home...
Thexjfiles is offline  
Old 04-11-2014, 09:29 PM
  #15  
::CF Moderator::
Thread Starter
 
cruiser54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 37,392
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default

Originally Posted by Thexjfiles View Post
Shameless plug...Ive got an 89 ECU that needs a new home...
Frickin spammer!!

Auto or manual BTW? LOL!!!
cruiser54 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who wants more power out of their 87 or 88?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: