KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Trailhawk door panel protection discussion

Old 01-09-2019, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2018
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Engine: 3.2 L V6
Default Trailhawk door panel protection discussion

I recently purchased my first Jeep. It is a 2018 Cherokee Trailhawk. After getting it home I discovered, to my delight, that the lower door and side panels have an especially heavy flat black coating that I assume is there to protect it from the rocks and dirt getting kicked up on them as you are driving especially off-road. I want to keep that strong and resilient and looking good as well as protecting the metal underneath. Has anyone found a treatment to that which is different from the rest of the car, or should I just wax it with the same wax that I use on the rest of it? For those kind enough to respond to this discussion I would love to hear any particulars and/or reasons why you do what you do and how you learned about it if you don't mind.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by BullRhino
I recently purchased my first Jeep. It is a 2018 Cherokee Trailhawk. After getting it home I discovered, to my delight, that the lower door and side panels have an especially heavy flat black coating that I assume is there to protect it from the rocks and dirt getting kicked up on them as you are driving especially off-road. I want to keep that strong and resilient and looking good as well as protecting the metal underneath. Has anyone found a treatment to that which is different from the rest of the car, or should I just wax it with the same wax that I use on the rest of it? For those kind enough to respond to this discussion I would love to hear any particulars and/or reasons why you do what you do and how you learned about it if you don't mind.

Don't wax the plastic, you'll get white haze. After a year mine is holding up just fine with no special protectant. Just wash it with a good car wash soap. Some have uv protectant which is really what destroys plastic over time.