Liftgate issue: won't latch - Jeep Cherokee Forum
Jeep Cherokee Forum

KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Liftgate issue: won't latch

Old 05-08-2017, 11:15 AM   #1

View Watchful's Photo Album My Photos
Year: 2014
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 3.2-liter V-6
Default Liftgate issue: won't latch

I know this isn't a new issue, but I had trouble getting all the information together in one place.

Friday, for no apparent reason, my liftgate refused to close and lock. I could lower it, but (a) the latch wouldn't engage and (b) the dashboard info screen stayed on to let me know the gate was open. No matter what I did, including pushing it firmly, latched the gate closed. I knew this was a software issue, and looking around on the internet confirmed this. There's a fairly known fix for this, but the write up on how to do it was all over the place.

Here's what I did:
  1. Raise the hood
  2. Locate the fusebox.
    The fusebox is right of the cylinders and behind the battery. It's the smooth box cover you see on the right of this photo.
  3. Remove the cover: it has little pinch-clasps on the long sides. Squeeze them and the cover will pretty much come right off.
  4. Locate fuse number 50. It's a pink, 30A fuse. If you need help, the fuse layout is printed on the underside of the box cover for your convenience.

The fuse is the one of the two bigger pink rectangles near the center of the picture. See big "office tower" in the center of the photo? The pink ones are just to the right of it. (Ignore the circled red ones: I knicked this graphic from somewhere else.)
  5. Pull out this fuse. (Refer to the diagram under the fusebox cover to ensure you pick the correct one!) Jeep gives you a fuse puller: in the picture above, it's the white blob located just under the two light blue rectangles. Lift it right out, and use it like tweezers to pluck out the fuse. It's not a great fuse puller, but it worked easily enough for me.
  6. Reinsert the fuse. Refer to the pink fuse next to it in case you forget which way it came out.
  7. Replace the fuse puller and box cover.
  8. Close your hood, if you're so inclined.
  9. Open and close the liftgate manually, or just push the "liftgate lock" button on the handle of the liftgate.

Worked for me; hope this works for you if anything like this happens to you. Pushing the lock button on the lift gate immediately screwed the liftgate into place and it's given me no problems whatsoever.
Watchful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:34 AM   #2

View Paula (Sweet Paula)'s Photo Album My Photos

This worked perfect for me. Thank you so much!!
Paula (Sweet Paula) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:03 PM   #3

View Watchful's Photo Album My Photos
Year: 2014
Engine: 3.2-liter V-6

Why, that's awesome news! Thanks for letting me know.
Watchful is offline   Reply With Quote