KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Jeep Cherokee Death Wooble

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Jeep Cherokee Death Wooble

I tow my 2017 Cherokee Active Drive II behind my 40' RV twice went driving out of a store parking lot on to the road my car starts to wobble have to come to a complete stop to get under control. the third time this happened to me was on Hwy 101 the road was very rough had to stop on the Hwy luckily traffic behind me stop till I got under control. Why is this happening?
Old 05-19-2018, 08:54 AM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Same boat

We just purchased a 2018 Trailhawk with the intention of flat towing and since have read about this death wobble. Supposedly they have a wiring kit to fix this problem but our dealer can’t seem to find the part. What information have you found out?

QUOTE=rhwiii;3486599]I tow my 2017 Cherokee Active Drive II behind my 40' RV twice went driving out of a store parking lot on to the road my car starts to wobble have to come to a complete stop to get under control. the third time this happened to me was on Hwy 101 the road was very rough had to stop on the Hwy luckily traffic behind me stop till I got under control. Why is this happening?[/QUOTE]
Old 06-04-2018, 01:10 PM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Try this Mopar # 68321424AB
Old 06-05-2018, 11:59 AM

Year: 2018
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Engine: 3.2
Default wiring harness for flat towing

When I bought our 2018 trailhawk I had the dealer install the tow brackets and both wiring harnesses (taillights and electric power steering)
This is a known problem with jeep KL electric power steering and I have had no issues with death wobble when towing.. part number is 68321424ab
A word of caution, the Mopar instructions had an error in step 45-46 of 66 steps (only one jumper wire was needed). The dealer took two days to figure out issue.so make sure the installer has done this wiring before or is very good at installations of this type. The result of not carefully following user instructions when towing is a trouble code only dealer can clear.
Jeep tows great and is easier to pull than our old Cherokee was.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:42 AM

Year: 2016

Did you get any written instructions after they installed the kit? How did you address the battery drain issue?
Old 08-08-2018, 11:30 AM

Year: 2016

For anyone who has had this fix performed, does the switch cover pose any issues when you tow? I haven't tried it yet, but the cover that was installed on my vehicle changes the switch position when it's closed and it has to stay in the opposite position the whole time it's towed based on the instructions I've read on-line ...
Old 08-21-2018, 08:50 AM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 2018 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Hello We just purchased a 2018 Jeep Cherokee Latitude to pull behind our 44' RV. We did extensive research on it to make sure we would have as few problems as possible. We just experienced the death wobble and it scared us to death!!! We never would have purchased this Jeep if we would have known about this. Brand new car with less than 5000 miles wobbling like crazy and this is a MAJOR safety problem that Jeep does not recognize. They do not tell anyone that if it is flat towed that it is defective and needs the Mopar rig/fix. The dealer knew it was for flat towing, everybody knew it was for flat towing. Nobody told us about any of this. When we called Jeep help line directly, they said there was no record of this happening. After we dug, we got the Jeep helpline people to admit there was a problem but they kept trying to down play it and would not give us any contact/referral for an expert to talk to. We called the RV center that installed the hitch and air force one towing package and they said that recently they have been hearing about this problem with new Jeep Cherokees. They said they did not know about it when they did the original installation and have nothing good to say about Jeep. They say this is a defect in the new Jeep Cherokees that are coming out. I contacted 4 different Jeep service departments and they said they had not heard of this but found the Mopar wiring harness that addresses it. NO jeep dealer where I am stuck has any experience with fixing this!!!! and have never done this before. Jeep will not provide any contacts or expertise for help. Hours on the phone!!! I once owned and SRT8 with a screwed up shifter that I complained about and it eventually killed people who owned it and then they fixed it!!! I wish I had never purchased this vehicle! Jeep, your service and support is terrible. I need help and there is none anywhere!!!