KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Help me decide

Hi guys and gals

I'm New to the forum and am considering a Cherokee Trailhawk. I talked to a salesman yesterday and am suppose to go in tomorrow to talk deal which includes trading my 2012 Wrangler in for the Trailhawk. My JK has had quite a few mods done to it, very low miles and is mint and I hate to part with it, but unfortunately I have two herniated discs one in my neck and the other in my lower back which is making driving my JK difficult. I have the 6 speed manual and my left leg is affected by the disc pinching a nerve so it's very painful to clutch as well as the JK's ride being much stiffer than the Trailhawk. I also love the idea of a backup camera so I don't have to try and turn my neck to backup.

I guess at this stage of my life (I'll be 50 this year) and my back issues the Trailhawk would be a better fit for me.

Has anyone here come from a Wrangler and went into the Trailhawk? and if so did you find it almost as capable as the Wrangler? I say almost because even with it's rear locker and 1" lift over stock it's still quite a bit lower than a JK. I do have my good days and like to do some light offroading from time to time and want to make sure if I go through with the deal that I won't regret it if I get it offroad. I've read and watched many reviews, but I would also like some opinions from you guys.

One more thing and I know it's been discussed many times, but if one gives it some time the new Cherokee does grow on you, I wasn't fussy on it at first (looking at pictures) but now after seeing them in person I think they look great.

Well wish me luck and if I get what I want for my JK I'll probably be in a Trailhawk before Easter.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:03 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Wait for the Dakar edition to hit the market
Old 04-13-2014, 09:00 PM
Banned

Or wait for the new renegade to come out in 2015

Last edited by CanXJ; 04-13-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:49 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0

In all seriousness wait for the 2015 wrangler.. chances are it'll be independent suspension
Old 04-14-2014, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

New wrangler is rumored to be IFS and an aluminum frame. Also they are supposed to be shrinking it a lot. The renegade is a 7-slot grill Panda. To be honest, what I have seen of the two, a trail hawk Cherokee would be the way to go. (Will find out for sure when actually released). Dakar looks great!
Old 04-14-2014, 10:12 PM

Default Shhhh...

Originally Posted by Kingfisher
Wait for something less ugly!
Or keep your narrow minded opinions to yourself, I'm sure it's incomprehensible to you that there are people that like the new look of the Cherokee.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:55 AM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Best of luck to you on your "Early Birthday Present." Lol.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

Originally Posted by Xj88
In all seriousness wait for the 2015 wrangler.. chances are it'll be independent suspension
Seriously? That's sad.

All hate aside I really think the "4wd" system is overly complicated on the new Cherokee. That probably goes for most new vehicles though.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:46 PM

Well couldn't get what I wanted for My Wrangler so I'll be keeping it. I'm not going to take it in the rear especially after the upgrades I've done to it and the fact it only has 15K on it.

I probably will wait for the next Wrangler but that's certainly not going to be next year. I'm a regular on the Wrangler forums and the earliest would be 2016 for the new model, but many inside reports have said it has been pushed back to 2018...Jeep wants to get the new Wrangler right so they are taking their time, but they may offer a diesel option in the current Jk before the end of it's design cycle.

In any event thank you for all your input and happy trailing!
Old 04-20-2014, 01:22 AM

Year: 2014
Engine: 2.4 Tiger Shark

Originally Posted by VansTH
Hi guys and gals

I'm New to the forum and am considering a Cherokee Trailhawk. I talked to a salesman yesterday and am suppose to go in tomorrow to talk deal which includes trading my 2012 Wrangler in for the Trailhawk. My JK has had quite a few mods done to it, very low miles and is mint and I hate to part with it, but unfortunately I have two herniated discs one in my neck and the other in my lower back which is making driving my JK difficult. I have the 6 speed manual and my left leg is affected by the disc pinching a nerve so it's very painful to clutch as well as the JK's ride being much stiffer than the Trailhawk. I also love the idea of a backup camera so I don't have to try and turn my neck to backup.

I guess at this stage of my life (I'll be 50 this year) and my back issues the Trailhawk would be a better fit for me.

Has anyone here come from a Wrangler and went into the Trailhawk? and if so did you find it almost as capable as the Wrangler? I say almost because even with it's rear locker and 1" lift over stock it's still quite a bit lower than a JK. I do have my good days and like to do some light offroading from time to time and want to make sure if I go through with the deal that I won't regret it if I get it offroad. I've read and watched many reviews, but I would also like some opinions from you guys.

One more thing and I know it's been discussed many times, but if one gives it some time the new Cherokee does grow on you, I wasn't fussy on it at first (looking at pictures) but now after seeing them in person I think they look great.

Well wish me luck and if I get what I want for my JK I'll probably be in a Trailhawk before Easter.
last week i traded my 08 sahara jk in on a 2.4 trailhawk.. so far i have no regrets.. my back thanked me.. heated seats.. lumbar..
i do love a wrangler for its clearance.. going from 10 or so to 8 something is all i worry about.. but.. its got skid plates..
i have yet to test its metal in any thing serious. it has a decent 4x4 system but its kinda too micromanaged.. im skeptical where it is new on the market..
without a wench.. id be scared to take this ride it where i took my stock 08 wrangler.
i had a 96 cherokee sport i loved but wore it out. it was a beast in its own rights.. im wondering if this NEW version will compare with either i had before..
so far this thing is quick.. on road and off handles very nice. i tested it in an open field to see how it performed off road at a higher rate of speed.. it hooked up and did well.. also it will crawl like a dream at a slow speed up some steep wet clay type grounds..

Last edited by metalwonzero; 04-20-2014 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:39 PM

Year: 2014
Engine: 3.2l

Really the only thing I see wrong with it is the lack of clearance. I have put the skid plates to work already. They do seem adequate.