KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Cherokee Build Quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Angry Cherokee Build Quality

Greetings one and all and Kia Ora from New Zealand.

About 6 weeks ago, my wife settled on buying a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Limited with a Technology Package after test driving many other medium sized SUVs. We initially experienced indifferent service from the dealership (They were great before we handed over any $ of course) when we picked up the car as it had obviously not been properly valeted - had prints all over the head lining, filithy (and I do mean filthy) sun roof wind deflector, surface rust on one of the ISO child seat anchor points, ( I could list several other things). The sales rep was rather dismissive and made my wife feel like she was being unreasonable by expecting a brand new car to be clean. Amyweay, we left the car with them to sort out properly and the salesman was a complete arrogant muppet by saying to my wife that he'll make it up to her by getting her a bunch of flowers
Anyway, a few days later we went back and the car still wasn't what you would call pristine. As a complete contrast, I bought a 2016 Subaru WRX STi a couple of weeks earlier and it was probably cleaner than when it left the factory!!
We decided to just take the car and tidy up the other bits ourselves as it was beccoming painful to deal with them.

Now, a few weeks later when I'm washing the car, I discover something else - Name:  IMG_4457_zps8ozxvgwr.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  199.3 KB

The front driver's door stay. I'm mean, really? Rust and corrosion on a car that we bought only a few weeks ago. The rear passengetr door is in a similar condition.
We're obviously going back to the delaer tomorrow to speak to the head honcho of teh dealership but was wondering if anyonme else had this sort of issue with their Jeep?

Gary
Old 10-09-2016, 12:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Yeah, that jeep sat on a loading dock or on on a ship exposed to salt water air and spray. Thats not a good sign. I guess the jeeps have to get to New Zealand somehow. I guess the trip from japan for the suby was shorter than the trip from the us for the jeep.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:01 PM

It makes you wonder what else is corroding elsewhere that we can't see.....
Old 10-10-2016, 05:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Look at the exhaust thats always the first thing to rust out on cars.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:46 AM

Year: 2016
Engine: V6

Definitely be taking your story to Jeep Customer Service. The prep (which they charged you for) was way substandard. The attitude deplorable. And the aggro? Should not have been there. As for the rust. I'd say salt water fog is probably the culprit. Altho only surface and not harmful the dealer should detail that outta there. WD spraydown and a moto type chain spray lube after.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:37 PM

Thanks for the comments. Dealer is taking this very seriously now - especially as I have raised it with Jeep NZ who have spoken to the dealership. Wife's been given a Cherokee Trail Hawk while they look at her car and they want it until at least Monday next week.
I have a feeling that the salesman we dealt with initially won't be getting employee of the month anytime soon
Old 10-12-2016, 03:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Glad they are treating you right finally.

Kind of crazy that there is that much surface rust on a brand new car!
Old 10-14-2016, 11:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by NGBZ
Thanks for the comments. Dealer is taking this very seriously now - especially as I have raised it with Jeep NZ who have spoken to the dealership. Wife's been given a Cherokee Trail Hawk while they look at her car and they want it until at least Monday next week.
I have a feeling that the salesman we dealt with initially won't be getting employee of the month anytime soon
Good luck man! Hope you come out on top.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a quality control fail there too. That bracket should have been salt spray tested and I don't think red rust is allowable at the end of the life cycle much less one boat trip on the ocean. The brackets on my XJ look better and its seen 16 salt-covered road winters.