KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Changing Engine Air Filter Tip

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Changing Engine Air Filter Tip

I'm sure you have been frustrated if you lost air box screws when changing the air filter on your Cherokee KL 3.2 engine. The air box sits low and is jammed in do as to make it easy to drop screws, which disappear somewhere? I have read that you should place a cloth under where the screws mount to catch them if you drop them. I discovered a good way to reattach the screws, slightly screw in the screws to the top housing so that they won't fall out them place air box coiver on the bottom and tighten the screws. Works great.

PS: New screws cost about $2 each from your friendly Jeep Dealer.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

You could also drop the screws into the cover and then push a small piece of masking tape over the threads to keep the screws from falling out.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2016
Model: Cherokee(KL)
Engine: 3.2L

You can always just get an AFE intake and not have to worry with the BS factory airbox

The following users liked this post:
Unibabble (07-03-2022)
Old 05-17-2018, 06:22 PM

I got an AFE drop-in panel filter. Dry no oil, and I should not have to clean very often. We don't drive much and did not want to spend enough to get a cold air intake
Old 03-10-2020, 11:16 PM

Year: 2014
Model: Cherokee (KL)
Engine: 3.2 petrol

The best way to do this is NOT take the screws right out in the first place - ie. only remove them to the point the OP describes for refitting them. There's a bit of judgement required, but only unscrew them enough to disengage from the lower housing - but still engaged in the top housing. You can maybe first remove completely the easiest to reach - then match it up to the side to get a sense of how far out the others can be taken - then close to that postion on each just start gently tugging while slowly unscrewing to spot the release point.

It's not necessary to completely remove the top cover to get the filter our / in - but be careful how much load you put on the breather fitting on the side of the box - I actually pop the rubber hose off the quick release coupler (which needs a special tool to easily disengage).