KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

The KL Cherokee. Love it or Loathe it?

Old 02-21-2014, 08:28 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow
Default The KL Cherokee. Love it or Loathe it?

Ok, now that I have your attention, there has been an influx of haters coming here to bash on the new KLs and their owners so I will say this once and once only. If YOU have a problem with the KL or ANYTHING negative to say twords it here, keep your mouth shut and negative opinion to yourself or Cruiser and I will personally see you deleted from CF. This section was meant for ACTUAL owners, perspective buyers or members who love ALL Jeeps. Its not the XJ, DEAL WITH IT!! If you feel the need to trash talk and put down owners and new members, go back to FB where you belong with all the other pre pubescent, teenage, living at mommy n daddys house, dumb kids.
The following 6 users liked this post by Outlaw Star:
bxwilli (12-30-2019), Crushtheogre (01-22-2022), dcluvtohunt (02-02-2021), Inspector 12 (02-20-2023), Mikee_TX (03-16-2022), Nathan Green (03-12-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-21-2014, 08:33 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,522 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Well stated, sir.

An excellent reminder. I'm on board.
The following 3 users liked this post by cruiser54:
Mikee_TX (03-16-2022), Nick128 (12-28-2021), tiedupgood (12-19-2020)
Old 02-21-2014, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

ya'll just got TOLD!!!
Old 02-21-2014, 09:06 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: TBD

i tastefully disagree with the KL.

But everyone knows that the days of solid axles and straight 6's on a 1/4 ton chassis are long gone. The KL is NOTHING like a traditional jeep, but neither was the XJ.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:15 PM
THE Admin

Originally Posted by Keiffith
i tastefully disagree with the KL.
See, this is acceptable for an opinion unlike the usual "Oh its soo ugly" or "I hate Crossovers, should have bought an Xj". You just simply stated without bashing any member or their Jeep. Now if others would just be so considerate. (Not singling you out, just using yours as a more proper way to approach the situation)
The following 2 users liked this post by Outlaw Star:
Crushtheogre (01-22-2022), Nathan Green (03-12-2023)
Old 02-21-2014, 09:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Outlaw Star

See, this is acceptable for an opinion unlike the usual "Oh its soo ugly" or "I hate Crossovers, should have bought an Xj". You just simply stated without bashing any member or their Jeep. Now if others would just be so considerate. (Not singling you out, just using yours as a more proper way to approach the situation)
Have folks really been jumping in this forum and directly blasting owners? If so, all I can say is wow. Internet strong lol. Pathetic. I wonder if the old SJ owners bashed the new XJ owners...
Old 02-21-2014, 09:40 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: TBD

Originally Posted by Outlaw Star
understood

the KL was designed for the same market as the XJ, but since features for a small SUV have significantly changed in 30 years, the average new SUV buyer isnt looking for a hardcore offroad vehicle, but a solid vehicle that they can be confident in when the weather goes gnarly.

my least favourite thing is certainly the looks, since jeeps like the "commander" look more like a cherokee than a KL. I can hope that Jeep does a facelift to atleast make it look more like its father.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, I agree with this. Its basically the difference of mature and immature. As much as I love the old XJ I don't mind the KL. Like, even though it DOES look like a kia or whatever, atleast it straight up does and isn't trying to hide it haha! I'd take one if I needed a reliable daily that I could take camping.
The following users liked this post:
tiedupgood (12-19-2020)
Old 02-22-2014, 12:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO

I like the KL a lot better than every other crossover on the road because it doesn't look like the rest, at least when you see the front end whether you love it or hate it, you know exactly what it is.
Nathan Green (03-12-2023)
Old 02-22-2014, 12:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 Liter

Originally Posted by mrfajita
I like the KL a lot better than every other crossover on the road because it doesn't look like the rest, at least when you see the front end whether you love it or hate it, you know exactly what it is.
This. It may not be like our Jeeps of old but you know its a Jeep. And its great at what it was built for. I think that kinda sums up a Jeep, you know one when you see one and its good at what it does. That's why I hate people who don't consider a Cherokee a "real" Jeep. They give all these stupid reasons, it doesn't have round headlights, it doesn't have a removable top, etc. That's not what a Jeep's about. They're reliable, they're different, and they're good at what they do.
Nathan Green (03-12-2023)
Old 02-22-2014, 12:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 91
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ThatDude114
This. It may not be like our Jeeps of old but you know its a Jeep. And its great at what it was built for. I think that kinda sums up a Jeep, you know one when you see one and its good at what it does. That's why I hate people who don't consider a Cherokee a "real" Jeep. They give all these stupid reasons, it doesn't have round headlights, it doesn't have a removable top, etc. That's not what a Jeep's about. They're reliable, they're different, and they're good at what they do.
I agree. My friends hate on my XJ. I think there just jealous.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:49 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO

Saw my first trail hawk yesterday, ( on the road ) had a cute little blond driver. I saw the front end in my rear views mirrors and yes I knew what it was. All n all not my style, but neither it the liberty, patriot, commander, .......... I don't think they should have called the KL " Cherokee " tho. I think that was a marking ploy, if they would have named it a BLAW BLAW then it would be another jeep that I don't want. Why didn't they call it a scrambler B Or CJ- 2000, -------- cause the Cherokee was a best seller for years. Cause kids " know and like the cherokee name and this is smart business
And not to mention if cute little blondes are buying them, well I get to pull them out of the ditch, so no harm no foul
My XJ will stand proud no matter what. And the KL is just another car on road. It's a new day, humans don't like change, but change is here

Last edited by Snow play xj; 02-22-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:06 AM
THE Admin

Originally Posted by Snow play xj
Saw my first trail hawk yesterday, ( on the road ) had a cute little blond driver. I saw the front end in my rear views mirrors and yes I knew what it was. All n all not my style, but neither it the liberty, patriot, commander, .......... I don't think they should have called the KL " Cherokee " tho. I think that was a marking ploy, if they would have named it a BLAW BLAW then it would be another jeep that I don't want. Why didn't they call it a scrambler B Or CJ- 2000, -------- cause the Cherokee was a best seller for years. Cause kids " know and like the cherokee name and this is smart business
And not to mention if cute little blondes are buying them, well I get to pull them out of the ditch, so no harm no foul
My XJ will stand proud no matter what. And the KL is just another car on road. It's a new day, humans don't like change, but change is here
Yes Cherokee is a well recognized name. I kinda like the one post a member put here of a Whale shark and the KL looking alike. After all, there is a Tiger Shark engine for it.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Personally, the only aspect of the KL I don't like is the looks, but that's all it is, a personal opinion. For the average commuter, it's honestly a better vehicle than the XJ. It has a nicer interior, better mpg's, and more features. Is the Trailhawk capable in off road situations - to an extent. Will a mildly built XJ (3" lift, 31's, lockers, and 4.10's) outperform it off road? In my opinion yes. But that doesn't mean the KL is junk. Like others have said, SJ owners probably called foul when the XJ came out, but once the aftermarket started providing parts to make the XJ better, lots of those same people started seeing the XJ in a different light. Maybe the same thing will happen with the KL.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

For you guys who either own one or have driven one, how is the acceleration for the 2.4 with 4x4? Is it a dog or is does it have some pep? Very curious.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The KL Cherokee. Love it or Loathe it?