KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

2014 Latitude metal grinding w/electronic engagent noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 2014 Latitude metal grinding w/electronic engagent noise?

I am halfway between where i was and where i want to be, with the full trip being 1000 miles. So im no where near any of my normal connections for help.

I was driving down the interstate at 60, city bypass, when suddenly the rear end starts making a noise similar to that when one is dragging a muffler. But then this very loud elecrtical noise started in the dash/engine bay/front of the jeep. That noise sounds like, idk my ebarke trying to engage only 100x louder or kind of like when a car over heats, but again, super loud. It only occures after 60 mph, can be heard over the bluetooth phone connection, and will eventually stop when the vehicle comes to a stop, but only after it makes a very loud clunk.

The metallic noise continues at any speed. Though it does increase with speed. but not at at normal interval.

Vehicle is a 2014 cherokee latitude. There's about 98k. Its decently maintained, no off roading aside from maintained gravel roads.

No lights on the dash alerting to codes either.

Of course its sunday of new years weekend, so nothing is going to be open and i need to get back home, 700 miles away. And it's -17 and im in a hotel parking lot with a cargo space full of christmas, so there's not much i can do for diagnostics myself.

Link to video of clicking from outside vehicle. Cant get up to 60 without getting back on interstate and dont think thats a safe option, so i cant get the electronic sound at this time
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tj823zozqna3ajd/20220101_205816.mp4?dl=0

Any ideas?

Last edited by MeganMegan; 01-02-2022 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-02-2022, 09:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,077 Likes on 862 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0

If it's not the rear diff, it could be one of the bearings or u-joints in the rear drive shaft which were prone to failing on the 2014s. Crawl under and see if the shaft is loose and banging around. Pulling the PTU fuse, #10 in the underhood fuse box will stop it from trying to engage the rear shaft. You'll get a 4wd unavailable message when you pull the fuse, but it'll go away once you reinstall it. It could also be a failed axle shaft cv joint.

The front bearing on mine failed and it really sounded like a failed wheel bearing. I could also cause it to kick in at over 45mph by setting the 4wd control to "snow". Normally the shaft stops getting power at about 35mpg in auto. Then confirmed it by pulling the 4wd fuse.
The following users liked this post:
MeganMegan (01-02-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by lawsoncl
If it's not the rear diff, it could be one of the bearings or u-joints in the rear drive shaft which were prone to failing on the 2014s. Crawl under and see if the shaft is loose and banging around. Pulling the PTU fuse, #10 in the underhood fuse box will stop it from trying to engage the rear shaft. You'll get a 4wd unavailable message when you pull the fuse, but it'll go away once you reinstall it. It could also be a failed axle shaft cv joint.

The front bearing on mine failed and it really sounded like a failed wheel bearing. I could also cause it to kick in at over 45mph by setting the 4wd control to "snow". Normally the shaft stops getting power at about 35mpg in auto. Then confirmed it by pulling the 4wd fuse.
Thanks! Its dark out again and the temps have dropped back below 0°F. But i'll try checking that out in the morning.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:33 AM

Update:

It was the rear cv axle. The boot was ripped and they said it was just spinning in there and they were surprised it was still drivable.

The electeical sound was the abs trying to kick in to compensate for the difference in transmission & wheel speed.