XJ Newbie - 2nd Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default XJ Newbie - 2nd Jeep

Hey all. I’m new to the forum and to the world of the XJ.

I bought a new Grand Cherokee in 1995 with the V8. It was my all time favorite vehicle. I drove the CRAP out of that Jeep. Originally from Colorado, I drove it all over the state, in Moab, Grand Junction, Imogine Pass and all around southwestern Colorado. Thru streams, sand dunes, snow, sideways in the mud/trees, but nothing too radical.

I only had an exhaust and larger tires. I bought it with the sport package so it had skid plates, etc. I never had a need for more off-road capability because I have always been a dirt biker, and if I wanted knarly, I would use the ZJ to tow my Yamy to the good stuff.

Funny story, right after I bought my ZJ, a guy with an XJ pulled up next to me at a stop light. I was pretty proud of my V8, so I thought I would show him and his little 4.0 straight 6 a lesson. He smoked my ***! I’ve always held the XJ in high regards after that experience.

I’ve also seen the XJ do CRAZY stuff in Moab. Since they have a longer wheelbase than a Wrangler/CJ, etc. They can climb and descend with the best of any vehicle. I saw an XJ climb a rock wall once in Moab near the Slick Rock trail. It looked straight up from a distance. When he got to the top, he hooked a rope up to his buddies Jeep CJ. I asked him why and he said his XJ can climb a tree, but the CJ might tip over backwards. Of course, he might have been bustin on his buddy.

Anyway, after being thru a series of mostly pickups (2 Dodge and 1 Tacoma, which I wasn’t thrilled with), I decided I really need to get a real 4wd. What better than an XJ since all of the new 4wd are really more mini-vans for snowy roads and gett’n grocery’s.

I bought a 1997 Country (black) from a friend. He bought it new and has taken great care of it, or at least the engine anyway. It has very high miles (250k), but the engine runs fantastic! I’ve had to put some money into the AC system (blend doors, heater core, auxiliary fan), but now it’s all good. Let the upgrades begin!

First I need to do a tune-up then replace valve cover gasket that is leaking. Then I am eying some ZJ seats, probably just a 3” lift, 31” tires and wheels, then maybe bumpers, lights and roof rack. I’m on the extended time plan. Meaning if I do it all too soon, my pocket book will suffer and the wife will grumble.

I live in Nashville now. Not sure where I can even go Jeep’n. But I’ll be glad to drive it back to Colorado to check out my old stomp’n ground at some point.

This forum is awesome! I’ve been lurking for about a month now.

Cheers from Nashville,

Bryan…
Old 07-21-2010, 04:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Welcome, from Wisconsin. Why ZJ seats, don't like the XJ ones. My leather seats are very comfortable. (even after 19 years.)
Old 07-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome the forum
Old 07-23-2010, 02:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 9teen98
Engine: 4.0 I6

welcome to the club from san fran, ca
Old 07-23-2010, 12:42 PM