Right Hand Drive from Texas-Greetings

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Engine: 4.0 390K miles and counting...
Default Right Hand Drive from Texas-Greetings

So after seeing threads from this sight on my many searches on google for info about my recent 94 Cherokee purchase, I figured I would sign up and contribute my experiences.
I bought a RHD Jeep Cherokee for my wife who just started working as a rural route carrier and it was pretty much a basket case when I bought it but somehow managed to limp it home 7 hours from way out East Texas.
What she looked like when I bought her.

Seeing all the parts this bad boy was going to need I started looking for a cheap donor. I found a 96 XJ Country 2wd without a title but fully operational for $500, saved at least 3k so far in parts. Thus began a 4 week project to get this jeep ready for my wife once she finished her training. Did I mention I work out of town every week? Tons of fun, and I have learned alot. This is what she looks like now and I still have much more that I am going to do.
How she looks now.
Keep in mind she has 390K and counting, and lots of life left in her. Pretty much have completely rebuilt and replaced much of the interior including a new headliner all new center console section, got all interior lights working and tore apart the speedo out of the 96 and managed to get it to work in the 94 despite having a different base. AC blows cold even though the control switch panel is upside down. Solved problems with brake lights not shutting off, rebuilt the NSS and got the reverse lights going, replaced all the missing mounting hardware on the radiator, oil cooler and trans cooler. Went back to an original Jeep steering wheel from the crappy aftermarket it had in it. Deep cleaned the interior and made it presentable for my wife to take the girls to school. Then there is just so much more, replacing a damaged transmission mount, stuck in some 2016 Rubicon springs and shocks that were given to me and amazingly fit this bad boy, just need new leaf springs in the rear.
I am very impressed with the durability of these XJ's, how great the 4.0 is and how easy they are to work on.
Looking for my own XJ now that I can lift and modify for Big Bend.

I am having some cooling problems with the mechanical fan only hitting half the radiator, the electric fan is wired on a separate switch through a relay and my wife uses it full time but still gets very warm each day. This weekend I am going to take off the mechanical fan and go back with 2 electric fans on separate relays and fuses, change out the thermostat and radiator cap, she is flushing the radiator currently with the dawn soap she added a couple nights ago and I plan to flush the system and blow out the heater core that seems to not work.

She also just started having an issue with it shutting off on her without any warning but then starting right back up once she shifts to neutral on the roll and keeps going. A friend told me how to test the PCM and I cannot get it to keep the jeep from starting so I was going to replace it with the one out of the 96, but the 94 pcm is one plug and the 96 pcm is 3, so I am not sure if that will work. Also saw a video about using my solder pen to fix the pcm, so I might try that.

Any comments are welcome and thank you in advance, don't worry I have pretty think skin and no problem being a ***** in need be.

See you on the trails...
Old 06-26-2018, 08:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default YO Same Jeep

Hello fellow RHDer...I have same year same color RHD ....Maybe you can help me with something...I have replaced my heater /AC control unit with a LHD unit... Took of the faceplate, turned the LHD unit upside down, and switched faceplates. It worked !!
I'm trying to track down wiring for the blower. Manual says blower fuse is location # 17 and a 7.5 fuse. But there are no wires running to location #17 on fuse block. Do you know what location your blower motor fuse is ??
Thanks ahead of time