Potential new owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Potential new owner

Currently I drive a 2014 Jetta TDi I bought new almost exactly 2 years ago. You may or may have heard of dieselgate aka emissions scandal so now VW is offering to buy back those vehicles, mine included

I used to own a 2001 Wrangler with the 4.0 and regrettably sold that. But I love that motor and with the TDi being bought back gives me chance to get another vehicle with it.

I am looking at Cherokee for a few reasons. 1) the motor 2) I refuse to get into another car payment. I will have approx. $4k cash after the buyback and the Cherokee falls in that price range 3) I want something with a little more storage space than the Wrangler had.

I am also interested in 4runner but those are outside my cash price range. And I feel I can work on the Cherokee a little easier since I have some familiarity with the motor. I will be using the Cherokee as my DD and will have few hundred each month to put into PM, scheduled maintenance, etc. So it needs to be clean/reliable day one but I can replace things that need replaced due to age/mileage along the way too.

I am hoping my buyback happens in Nov but do not have a date yet. I have read quite a few threads on here and other Cherokee forums (there are a lot, surprisingly)

I won't use it off-road much. Tow a Jon boat, dog will ride in back, will go down some easy trails for spots I hunt, etc. But it will primarily be a DD.

I am sure I will have plenty of questions, especially as it gets closer to me having cash in hand to buy.I live in Columbia, SC but willing to drive up to 5-6 hours to pick one up if worth it.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Sweet, post up your finds and give us some details about anything you're considering looking at. We'll help where we can. Welcome to the forum!
Old 10-28-2016, 07:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome
Old 10-31-2016, 10:28 AM

Thanks y'all

I have been looking at autotrader and CL, just to get feel for market

Two things 1) This cherokee seems awesome but also incredibly overpriced. am I wrong?

https://greenville.craigslist.org/ctd/5851660888.html

Clean, 5-speed, 1 owner, 103K miles. But almost $10k?

2) I prefer the Cherokee for the years I am looking at but I noticed the Grand Cherokees seem to be same price or even cheaper. How and why is that? The GC costs more when they both came out. If I was to keep eyes out for a GC is there anything to avoid or look out for? I know this is a cherokee forum but just curious. Maybe the GC from late 90s is not even worth checking out?
Old 10-31-2016, 02:33 PM
CF Veteran

Incredibly overpriced is an understatement.

Can't really help you with GC's but maybe someone else will chime in.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:32 PM

Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

One thing to look out for is the problem of the cracked head in 97-01 4.0 Cherokee. They have a weak point between cyl 3 and 4 which results in coolant leaking into oil! so if you find a REALLY clean one (like the one you listed) I would ask if the head has been replaced already because the crack WILL happen eventually... Welcome to CF and good luck!
Old 10-31-2016, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

The poorly designed head was a problem in 2000-2001 4.0 known as the 0331 head. 97-99 XJ's did not have these heads and aren't known to be plagued by this.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by fan of fanboys
Thanks y'all

I have been looking at autotrader and CL, just to get feel for market

Two things 1) This cherokee seems awesome but also incredibly overpriced. am I wrong?

https://greenville.craigslist.org/ctd/5851660888.html

Clean, 5-speed, 1 owner, 103K miles. But almost $10k?

2) I prefer the Cherokee for the years I am looking at but I noticed the Grand Cherokees seem to be same price or even cheaper. How and why is that? The GC costs more when they both came out. If I was to keep eyes out for a GC is there anything to avoid or look out for? I know this is a cherokee forum but just curious. Maybe the GC from late 90s is not even worth checking out?
I believe even Chrysler said MPG on HIGHWAY was 21, brand new. This guy says 24 city? I hate dealers