Newb from Florida

Old 11-17-2016, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Newb from Florida

Yes, I'm a forum newb, and I have a fraction of the wrenching talent many of you seem to possess. I am determined to change that despite the fact that I often struggle with my daughter's Legos.

I recently purchased a 2001 XJ Sport as my son's first vehicle -- something he will drive a mile or so to/from school daily. I bought it on eBay and once delivered it was not nearly as pristine as advertised: black paint is ugly up close, a/c blows warm (a scary proposition for a black vehicle in these parts), seats have tears, bubbling on one door (despite claims of zero rust), crack in windshield, etc. I'm going back and forth with the seller giving him a chance to make things right since I paid a healthy price. He actually strikes me as a decent guy despite the missing details.

I realize that all older vehicles have issues (I drive a WJ with 140K on the clock and owned a '64 Chevy step-side for years) but full disclosure would have been nice. You live and learn. Heaven help me, though, I love the thing, and I understand why some of you talk about XJs like vintage **** stars --- that is, with a sort of wink-wink reverence. With an older Rough Country 4.5-inch lift and 32s it wanders on the road a bit, when the A/C kicks on the RPMs fall of a cliff, the sound system blows butt (and will be replaced), etc. But it's got a wonderful rumble out the tailpipe, the best 360-degreee visibility of any vehicle I've ever encountered, a "**** right off and don't pass go" profile, and it turns all the right heads (a tramp-stamped girl at Dunkin Donuts this AM called me "cute" while looking past me at the Soft 8 rims). And no, I am not cute.

In short, I'm glad to be here, impressed by this unique community, and determined to limit all stupid questions…though a certain percentage will be posed, I assure you.

The specs:

2001 XJ 4x4
Inline 4.0 six cylinder with notorious head issue allegedly fixed
Auto tranny
145,500 miles
4.5 inch Rough Country lift was "professionally installed"
Black Cragar soft 8s
No spare rim or tire
75% tread on 32”Falken Wildpeak ATs
Tired old Yakima Mega Warrior cargo basket with Hi Lift Jack and trail shovel
Metal front bumper (not sure about brand) with D-rings
Off road lights on bumper (not sure of make but they look sorta dated)
Factory cruise, power windows, auto door locks that don't work

One important point: the previous owner switched the gears out for 3.73s at some point for "better road manners and gas mileage"?? Drives fine with decent giddy-up.

Again, glad to be here among a knowledgeable crew.

Last edited by SnookDaddy; 11-17-2016 at 10:59 AM.