New WJ owner, longtime Chrysler owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default New WJ owner, longtime Chrysler owner

Well finally after looking for the past couple of years I finally snagged a Cherokee that wasn't a wreck, I can afford, and with the options I want(or at least most of them). There were a few that got away in the process, but I finally snagged one.

Yesterday I took delivery of a 2002 Cherokee Laredo Sport in Steel Blue with 97K on the clock. In all seriousness aside from a couple very small blemishes this Jeep looked like it came off the showroom floor. I'm now the second owner. From what I gather this Jeep was owned by a woman in the Navy. Pretty much all I am going to do (for now) is drop in a K&N filter, LOF, new plugs, the serp belt looks like it was replaced recently, replace the wiper blades (worn), and replace the rear tires (they were probably on the front judging from the wear). Not going to go crazy with this vehicle. This is the first vehicle I've owned that the XYL didn't complain about, and actually likes it. As the time comes I'll eventually add a Dynomax catback, maybe the K&N CAI.

Previous car was a 2001 Dodge Neon ES with the following mods:
Race built 2.0L Magnum (w/Magnum intake, and exhaust)
ACR suspension
tweaked 3spd Auto with transfer gears from an 81 Omni 4spd (3.55)
Underdrive pully
60mm TB
Iceman CAI
AFX PCM
Adjustable cam gear
Aftermarket coil pack
100hp nitrous wet system with RPM/WOT interlock
Old 02-15-2012, 09:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome to CF, and congrats on your purchase.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:00 PM

Thanks!

Really enjoying the WJ. Though it is taking a bit of getting used to the ride. Going from a lowered rollerskate that I can take turns as if on rails to something that is taller, and top heavy.. At least now I don't have to worry about falling into a Jersey pothole.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

I know what you mean.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:38 PM

Yeah I bottomed out my old Neon a couple of times hitting some Jersey potholes. Busted a CVJ once which was not pretty. Poking around the engine compartment the Jeep is pretty much setup (sensors/electronics) the same as the old Neon just a different engine.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:14 PM

Year: 92, 00
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO

Check the build date, if its in the last couple months of 02 then you have the TUPY head which isn't prone to cracking........if not just keep your eye on the temp gauge, unless this is an 8 cyl, I didn't read too close
Old 02-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site
Old 02-16-2012, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by H8PVMT
Check the build date, if its in the last couple months of 02 then you have the TUPY head which isn't prone to cracking........if not just keep your eye on the temp gauge, unless this is an 8 cyl, I didn't read too close
I thought that only pertained to the 01's. I'll check when I get home. But I usually keep a close eye on my gauges. That's one of the reasons why I traded in the Neon.. Minimal gauges (speedo, tach, fuel, and temp).. Must have input!
Old 02-16-2012, 11:09 PM

Yes I have the I-6. Production date of 03/02.. Is there any visible differences/markings on the head to tell which head is on the engine?
Old 02-17-2012, 04:29 AM

99% you have the 0331, its cast on the block between 3 and 4 cylinders, can't see unless valve cover is off, doesn't mean it will explode on its own, just doesn't handle abuse as well as other castings, plenty of guys get to over 250k without issue, just don't let it overheat

Welcome, I've been shopping for a who myself, can't tell if its cause I'm getting old or just tall
Old 02-17-2012, 07:50 AM

99% you have the 0331, its cast on the block between 3 and 4 cylinders, can't see unless valve cover is off, doesn't mean it will explode on its own, just doesn't handle abuse as well as other castings, plenty of guys get to over 250k without issue, just don't let it overheat

Welcome, I've been shopping for a who myself, can't tell if its cause I'm getting old or just tall
I think you meant head (I hope). I was about to go hit car-parts.com for a used 03 head though I still might just in case. Since I'll be replacing the spark plugs Sunday I'll poke around, and see what's involved with peeking under the valve cover. If there isn't much stuff to move around I'll take a peek. I would guess replacing a head on the 4.0L I6 is pretty much the same as the Slant-6 just more emissions junk to deal it. Well I have no intentions of abusing, or seriously modifying the Jeep. I have to keep it presentable, and running for work. Plus I promised the XYL that I wouldn't go crazy on it like I did the last several vehicles which kinda helps on the wallet.. Thanks for the heads up.

Shopping for a what?
Old 02-17-2012, 08:01 AM

meant to type head, and shopping for a grand cherokee 03-new, just woke up and didn't realize autospell was making up words for me
Old 02-17-2012, 09:08 AM

meant to type head, and shopping for a grand cherokee 03-new, just woke up and didn't realize autospell was making up words for me
LOL... ok.. Yeah autocorrect will do that to you.. Could have been worse...
Old 02-17-2012, 09:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to CF! I know what you mean about getting used to the top heavy ride of the WJ (I hated it). Addco sway bars on the front and rear helped, as did the Bilstein shocks, but it wasn't until I swapped out the mushy stock springs for some BDS springs that I was finally happy with my ride. By happy, I mean I really love driving my WJ, and I was growing concerned that I never really would. For as much as a heavy WJ can "ride on rails", mine does. As for the 0331 head, I'm at 182K on mine and all is well so far. It could crack today for all I know, but it's not necessarily a death sentence. If it does go, I'll enjoy the opportunity to polish an older head and get a bit of performance out of the deal.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by 4Doors
Welcome to CF! I know what you mean about getting used to the top heavy ride of the WJ (I hated it). Addco sway bars on the front and rear helped, as did the Bilstein shocks, but it wasn't until I swapped out the mushy stock springs for some BDS springs that I was finally happy with my ride. By happy, I mean I really love driving my WJ, and I was growing concerned that I never really would. For as much as a heavy WJ can "ride on rails", mine does. As for the 0331 head, I'm at 182K on mine and all is well so far. It could crack today for all I know, but it's not necessarily a death sentence. If it does go, I'll enjoy the opportunity to polish an older head and get a bit of performance out of the deal.
Thank you for the welcome. I think the uneasiness with the ride comes from driving for 10 years a Neon that was track prepped (full on ACR suspension since I used to AutoX). I'll adjust in time. I just have to remember not to go into turns hot. But I may slip some goodies in when the time comes, and the XYL isn't looking of course. I am actually more concerned just keeping it running well. But I'll find another head just in case, and ready to swap without having to scramble. But it is good to know that others are doing well with the 0331 head. Otherwise I am really enjoying the Jeep especially knowing that >3" of snow, or speed bumps isn't going to stop me.

Quick Reply: New WJ owner, longtime Chrysler owner