new from western ky!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default new from western ky!

hey guys, whats up? im the FNG as you could say haha. but anyways, i havent got a jeep yet but am looking for a cherokee to make my project. i have a 4x4 truck and have always put bigger tires and different wheels on them etc but have recently just decided to give my DDs a break and find something to lift and beat on on the side lol. hopefully you guys can lead me in the right direction

a few things that pointed me towards a cherokee:
seems like theyre easier and cheaper to build. from what ive read it looks like lifts are cheaper and there are more parts and accessories on the market compared to say an f150 like i drive.

the project cheap cherokee on spikes powerblock really caught my eye

seems like cherokees are alot cheaper than the wrangler series for some reason.

and a few questions come to mind, will prolly find them on the site but just in case:
how big of a lift and what size tire is usually ran on trail rigs? looks like i see alot of 31"x? size tires on 4.5" lifts. im used to the truck scene with the "lift it as high as you can and throw the biggest tires you can on it" mentality where most tires are at least 33-35" tall.

how hard are these to build and work on? doesnt seem like an i6 would be too complicated and being strait axled seems easier to work on compared to the IFS im used to.

what equipement is neccessary to wheel with these vehicles? i would like to have just the neccessities at first to get it goin and then add stuff here and there. and are the factory axles and gears sufficient or is it reccomended to get bigger gears and lockers?

thanks guys and i will use the search function, but thought i would ask just in case lol
Old 08-31-2011, 08:45 PM

and i dont want a lift over 5.5". but just curious, how come some companies say their 3" lift only allows for 31s but other companies say they fit 33s?
Old 09-03-2011, 09:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Old 09-03-2011, 09:49 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Welcome my Bluegrass Brother!
Old 09-03-2011, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Four Point Slow

Welcome from South Central KY. You have just found the best auto forum on the internet. Lots of smart folk on here who love to give help and advice, just ask away.

First, bigger is not always better on an XJ. The bigger you go, the more stress you put on the chassis, you need to upgrade axles, driveline angles get thrown off, and, to put it shortly, its a lot of hassle. If you decide to go 33's+, your better off (money-wise) just trimming the sheetmetal. XJ's are suprisingly capable with only minor mods. They are light, agile, and have good power. Put some 32's or 33's on it, lunchbox locker it, and have a ball!

The Strait Axle and antique inline 6 make them pretty easy to work on, and quite reliable. Expect 200K+ miles out of it easily, if it is maintained. If you plan on any underside work, my personal advice is to soak it in WD40 for a few days to loosen everything up. My only gripe is that some of the bolts tend to break or strip out in the unibody chassis.

Anyway, maybe that helps answer some questions. Read up on this forum, it is FULL of good stuff, and you will find a lot more in depth stuff than I can give. Good luck on your project.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:06 PM

Thanks guys! Now if I can find a halfway decent xj I'll be good. What's the goin rate for an xj stock or modified? Seems like from what I found they range from 1000-4000. I just plan on a good 3-3.5" lift, steel wheels, 31x10.50 mudders, and eventually offroad bumpers and winch, roof basket, etc. I'm gonna have 3500 to spend on the initial vehicle, lift and tires so hope that's enough. Lol. Seems like before I was lookin for one I found them all day long. Now that I want one they're hard to come by