New no jeep yet

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Default New no jeep yet

Hey everyone, names Ryan I currently drive a 2012 Mustang 3.7 with a Procharger kit and much more. I am big into cars and trucks and will be purchasing a used XJ or WJ within the next week or so. I want to keep the mileage off the stang and keep her safe for the winter and what better way then to get a jeep. My mustang makes 409rwhp and is a hoot but I have to much time and money invested into her to let her rot away in the salt of NY.

Anyways I am here to learn and will be doing some basic mods, but nothing to crazy because I still have bigger plans for the stang. I have about 4k to spend on a Jeep and that should get me something decent around the 90k-130k mileage mark. More then likely Ill end up with a XJ Cherokee with a I-6.. but I have looked at a few WJ's lately too. nothing has caught my eye yet, many have been rust buckets and neglected by their owners. Im trying to find someone like my self who is meticulous in maintaining their vehicles.

Last edited by Bluebyu; 09-17-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Hey Ryan, nice Mustang. Take your time looking and I'm sure you'll find a clean XJ or WJ in that price range. Remember that just because they've been modified doesn't mean they're worth more. It's always better to buy stock and build what you want.

Name:  DansSig.gif
Views: 10
Size:  1.80 MB
Old 09-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by ol"blue
Hey Ryan, nice Mustang. Take your time looking and I'm sure you'll find a clean XJ or WJ in that price range. Remember that just because they've been modified doesn't mean they're worth more. It's always better to buy stock and build what you want.

couldn't agree with you more. Its just funny everyone claims they're truck is mint and Im an **** person so when I see their truck I can pick out multiple things wrong with it. Haven't found one yet that I can see my self buying but I have 3 XJ's lined up to see tomorrow and I know at least one of them is extremely clean but no A/C..really doesn't bother me, I always cruise with the windows down plus its a negotiating point for me lol

Just out of curiosity what is the normal diagnoses when the A/C goes bad? does the compressor go or does a hole form in the system and it cant hold the coolant?

Last edited by Bluebyu; 09-17-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

The vast majority of threads I read from people w/bad/no AC have leaking evap coils that need to be replaced. These compressors don't go bad that often, or else they fix them and don't post.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:31 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Bluebyu
couldn't agree with you more. Its just funny everyone claims they're truck is mint and Im an **** person so when I see their truck I can pick out multiple things wrong with it. Haven't found one yet that I can see my self buying but I have 3 XJ's lined up to see tomorrow and I know at least one of them is extremely clean but no A/C..really doesn't bother me, I always cruise with the windows down plus its a negotiating point for me lol

Just out of curiosity what is the normal diagnoses when the A/C goes bad? does the compressor go or does a hole form in the system and it cant hold the coolant?
coming from a guy (and a friend) with an ACless XJ it's probably going to be the evap coil which is a pita to fix. Just take the doors off if your hot
Old 09-18-2012, 12:52 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 2.5 td

Hi and welcome from England.
Nice pic.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:22 AM

Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ol"blue
The vast majority of threads I read from people w/bad/no AC have leaking evap coils that need to be replaced. These compressors don't go bad that often, or else they fix them and don't post.
take it from olblue he knows what hes talking about ask him how many times he has sent a how to guide to replace the evap coil to people this summer. thanks again olblue

Originally Posted by slayer9019
coming from a guy (and a friend) with an ACless XJ it's probably going to be the evap coil which is a pita to fix. Just take the doors off if your hot
actually not really. time consuming, but not really that bad. just keep telling yourself "im saving a thousand bucks", Im saving a thousand bucks"
Old 09-18-2012, 07:06 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Welcome from Wisconsin.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:47 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by kennzz05
actually not really. time consuming, but not really that bad. just keep telling yourself "im saving a thousand bucks", Im saving a thousand bucks"
I personally hate ripping out dashboards, but yea for saving 1k+ it is totally worth it. I think that rolling down the windows is hella easier
Old 09-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The amount of HP you can get out of a V6 Mustang these days is pretty crazy. Nice car.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 1ATony
The amount of HP you can get out of a V6 Mustang these days is pretty crazy. Nice car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynjut...ature=youtu.be

yeah man, and this was on a 97 degree day with 100% humidity on a conservative tune. Now that I can hang my baby up I plan on upping the boost a little more to bring her to the 470rwhp mark, before I rip the motor apart to go with better forged internals.

Most likely I am going to buy this 99 Grand Cherokee I found locally. The truck has 107k on it with the 4.0. It is immaculate, no rust on it what so ever, has never seen a beach before and was garge kept. The guy is asking 4k for it, which I though was a lot until I looked at 7 other jeeps yesterday and today...all of which were rusted to hell and in terrible shape.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by kennzz05
take it from olblue he knows what hes talking about ask him how many times he has sent a how to guide to replace the evap coil to people this summer. thanks again olblue

I've lost track of the times I've done that...
Originally Posted by Bluebyu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynjut...ature=youtu.be

yeah man, and this was on a 97 degree day with 100% humidity on a conservative tune. Now that I can hang my baby up I plan on upping the boost a little more to bring her to the 470rwhp mark, before I rip the motor apart to go with better forged internals.

Most likely I am going to buy this 99 Grand Cherokee I found locally. The truck has 107k on it with the 4.0. It is immaculate, no rust on it what so ever, has never seen a beach before and was garge kept. The guy is asking 4k for it, which I though was a lot until I looked at 7 other jeeps yesterday and today...all of which were rusted to hell and in terrible shape.
That's an awesome Mustang.
Sounds like a nice WJ, and a good price for a clean one.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Seasoned Member

bout an xj instead and I love her. 98 122k on the clock for 3200.

already having fun with her. I just ordered about 300 bucks worth of maintenance stuff for her from gear oil, front diff pinion seal, valve cover gasket, thermo stat, coolant, transfer case atf, and much more. I have two codes now on the truck one for a rear o2 which I ordered as well and the other is the leak detection pump. I am going to try and buy a new rubber elbow for the system before info and replace it.

truck also has a back check valve so I need to do the poor mans primer technique until I can get a new fuel pump assembly. but forget then that I love this truck its great.

I'll be doing a 2" to 3" lift soon and putting a nice stereo in it as my DD
Old 09-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Seasoned Member

sorry about the typos.. lol typed it on my phone.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

Looks good in that pic. Congrats on your purchase.

Quick Reply: New no jeep yet