new member with serious problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member with serious problem

hi all i just join your forum and wanted to say hi first but now let me get down to business. i have a 88 xj 4x4 all stock right now. hopin gto be able to do some cheap mods eventually but right now i have a problem with my wiring before i can get it on the road. i have been checking everything and found that the tail light fuse was missing and when i turned on the lights that only the headlights come one so i put a fuse in and as soon as i turned the lights on it popped. i have recentlly been checking it trying to find a short or some kind of problem with no resolve. i have gotten to the point that i have pulled everything except the front seats out of the interior and still have not found the problem. when i started checking the wiring i found a few problems with the rear lights and repaired them now i have all the dash lights out and it is not shorted to ground but i have the harness exposed and still have not found any bad wires or connections. my volt meter is showing 72 ohms resistance when i check from my headlight switch connecter to ground. i anyone has seen this problem or has any idea what else i should do any advice would be greatly appreciated. sorry for such a long message but i am about ready to take the thing to the scrap yard and put it out of my misery. thanks again.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995 Jeep
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l High output

Sounds like a fun project. The only thing I can suggest is what you are already doing. Trace all the wires and just look. Anyway welcome and Im sure someone here can help. Good luck
Old 12-01-2007, 03:24 PM

thanks for the advise. i finally found the problem with mine. the dang tag light had shorted out somewhere in the tailgate. i found the connecter inside the left inner fender in the rear and it was pretty corroded. unplugged it and the problem went away. hope that no one sees this problem again but if they do i basically tore mine down to the bare interior so i can probably help them out. project "chEEP CHEROKEE" is still under way with only $130 in the whole think. i hope to be able to post some pics of it in the near future once i get it put back together and get something other than street tires on it.