New member from NJ and my '86 XJ

Old 09-23-2014, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New member from NJ and my '86 XJ

Hello everyone. My name is Ian, I'm from Bergen County, NJ and I have a 1986 Jeep (AMC) Cherokee Pioneer 2-door, 2WD with the General Motors 2.8L Carbureted V6. I've owned a couple Jeeps This one, a '97 ZJ 4.0L, and an '08 WK Overland Hemi.
No 4x4 in this one...at least not yet.
This Jeep has somewhat of a story to it.
I inherited it from my grandfather who passed in 2006. My grandparents were the original owners, who purchased it in Brooklyn, NY for around $12,000 new. It was my first car, and I loved it.
When I got it, in 2006, it only had 39,000 miles on it. I put some miles on her, and eventually went to school out in Hawaii. The Jeep came along for the journey, so I'd have a car out there. After I finished in Hawaii (2008), at the time, it was easier to just sell it out there, than ship it back for close to $2k. Little did I know at the time, this was a mistake I'd later regret.
Over the past 6 years, I'd often think about the Jeep, and how I should have never sold it. I realized I had developed a sentimental bond with the Jeep, because my grandpa basically taught me to drive in it when I was young.
So I began searching for it.
Luckily, in the state of Hawaii, the license plates stay with the vehicle when it's sold, and would be the same as when I owned it. Thankfully for a speeding ticket, I was able to find the current owner through a public judiciary system by typing in my plate number. He was kind enough to work with me since I located it in March, up until about a month ago, when I purchased it back from him.
I'm glad to have it back, but it needs work. It looks way worse than it did when I shipped it out there 6 years ago. The elements are pretty harsh out there, but the damage is recent. There's rust on the roof, and on the side panels, hood, wheels. Thankfully, no major damage underneath, or to the floor pans. (And thanks to my grandpa for Garaging it for 20 years). It was left out in the rain with holes in the roof, so water saturated the carpet. I already ripped out the old jute padding, and have to replace it. I've been busy cleaning the hell out of it, and getting to know it all over again. I've begun with replacing all the basic tune up parts, but it needs more than that. Still has the spare tire from when I put it on. Right off the bat it needs all new vacuum hoses, exhaust with cat, power steering hose, brake booster with master, suspension, tires, and body work. Depending on how it runs after I get those things done, maybe a carb rebuild.
Looking forward to joining the Cherokee community, and sharing the progress of my XJ, thanks for reading

Here's some pics before and now:

Old 09-23-2014, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome! Glad u got it back!
Old 09-23-2014, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by XJwonders
Welcome! Glad u got it back!
Thanks, I am too. It's staying in the family now.