New Member with a new toy

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New Member with a new toy

Hey guys,

Im new to this site and thought id join because if all goes good with the bank tomorrow then i will be buying a 94 cherokee from a coworker of mine. Im really excited for this purchase as it will be the first time I have bought a vehicle on my own and will also be the firs (of many) vehicle projects. This is going to be my daily driver but i also want to do some light off roading in it. Here is a little about the vehicle;

1994 Cherokee "country"
4x4
Inline 6, 4.0L engine
4" lift kit
193,440 miles
Price: $1700

The interior was ruined and then replaced by the insurance so it has a salvage title.

Problems ive found so far;

Cracked windshield. its not major just about a foot long across the top.
Interior needs replaced again.
Tires are okay but will probably need replaced in a few months.
Valve Cover Gasket leaks (im told the gasket is $20. and it wont be hard to fix)
Driver side engine mount bar is cracked and will need replaced.
Rear hatch doesn't stay open by itself.

Thats all ive found that would need some attention. He says that the spark plugs are new about 6 months ago. Fuel pump is new with <1000 miles on it. Radiator is from a scrap yard and installed about 6 months ago (all aluminum).

So i do have a few questions for you guys;

1. Any recommendations for the engine mounts?

2. He says he took the rear sway bar out when he installed the lift kit. What does this do for me? Do I need to put it back in?

3. What are some good upgrades to boost MPG? since this is a daily driver.

4. What are some other common problems that may occur?

5. What are some accessories that you guys use on your jeeps, whether for performance or just because you can?

That's all i can think of for right now. But ill probably come up with some others in the future.

Thanks for looking
-Dylan
Old 03-13-2013, 11:00 PM

Nobody has any advice or suggestions?
Old 03-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site
Old 03-14-2013, 10:52 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by vegashooter221
Hey guys,
So i do have a few questions for you guys;

1. Any recommendations for the engine mounts?

2. He says he took the rear sway bar out when he installed the lift kit. What does this do for me? Do I need to put it back in?

3. What are some good upgrades to boost MPG? since this is a daily driver.

4. What are some other common problems that may occur?

5. What are some accessories that you guys use on your jeeps, whether for performance or just because you can?

That's all i can think of for right now. But ill probably come up with some others in the future.

Thanks for looking
-Dylan
1) Stock if you're not going to drive it like you sold it, Brown Dog seems to make good HD engine mounts. I haven't had to replace any so not too sure...

2) I'm a fan of Sway Bars, Always hook them back up, some guys run without the rear sways. I have all mine hooked up, stops body roll. Rear leafs are pretty stiff though...

3) MPG's, not too much. don't mash the skinny pedal. I'm at about 13 mpg's with stock gears & 33's

4) Comon problems, depends on a lot, i think your year is prone to some electrical issues. All XJ's have small issues though, just stay on top of maintainance & you should.... should be okay.

5) Mods.. read through the forum. There are tons, some for looks, some for performance upgrades. All depends on what you want to do with your rig. If you're gonna wheel, 1st lift, 2nd tires, 3rd winch or lunchbox lockers, bumpers, recovery points are a must.

- Post pictures when you get it, sounds like it's lifted a bit.

Welcome to the forum, tons of info & helpful mods.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:14 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: l6 HO

Welcome and good luck with your new xj!

I had a 96 country and I loved it. Shame mine was so rusted out so I got rid of it.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by caronaxtr

1) Stock if you're not going to drive it like you sold it, Brown Dog seems to make good HD engine mounts. I haven't had to replace any so not too sure...

2) I'm a fan of Sway Bars, Always hook them back up, some guys run without the rear sways. I have all mine hooked up, stops body roll. Rear leafs are pretty stiff though...

3) MPG's, not too much. don't mash the skinny pedal. I'm at about 13 mpg's with stock gears & 33's

4) Comon problems, depends on a lot, i think your year is prone to some electrical issues. All XJ's have small issues though, just stay on top of maintainance & you should.... should be okay.

5) Mods.. read through the forum. There are tons, some for looks, some for performance upgrades. All depends on what you want to do with your rig. If you're gonna wheel, 1st lift, 2nd tires, 3rd winch or lunchbox lockers, bumpers, recovery points are a must.

- Post pictures when you get it, sounds like it's lifted a bit.

Welcome to the forum, tons of info & helpful mods.
1. Yeah I was just checking to see if there was anything people recommended over stock. Ill look into the Brown dog ones. Thx

2. What is body roll? Lol

3. I'm pretty sure it has stock gears and not sure o tires size yet. My f150 gets 13 mpgs I'd like to keep it there or go up if at all possible.

4. Yeah I'm gonna be doing alot of maintenance. From the test drive I didn't notice any electrical issues but ill keep an eye on it. It's very possible that when I can in going to replace the entire electrical system.

5. I have a few ideas for the look part. It's the mechanical and performance parts that I really wanna get fixed up. It does have a 4" lift on it. And I'll check the size but it has some decent all terrain tires. I need to look up recovery points.. I'm 100% new to off roading and jeeps for that matter.

Thanks for the help so far.