New Jeepster owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default New Jeepster owner

Hey all, just picked up a red/black 95 Sport a week ago. She's got 205K miles but really seems like a strong little truck. My car needed to go down and I plan to rebuild the motor, so I needed a daily driver cheap enough and big enough for my two kids plus their hockey gear, bicycles, etc. My dad had this Cherokee sitting in his yard for about a year and said I could come get it whenever I needed. So last weekend I drove up to Iowa to pick it up. He had to replace the pick up coil, alternator, a brake cylinder, the electric fan, and headlight. He had put on brand new BF Goodrichs just before he parked it early last year.

A week in and I really love this xj! She's not the prettiest thing on the road, plus my kids were disappointed that it's not "newer" lol, but a little tlc and she'll be fine for hopefully a few years at least.

The rocker panels are pretty much gone due to rust, along with plenty of rust underneath in the back, and rust has also pretty much taken care of the exhaust. The stock wheels have lots of rust as well.
So I'm gonna see how much a body shop will charge to replace the rockers without paint. If they can just get new rockers to where they're primered cheap enough then I'll redo the bottom black in rhino coating or something similar. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Although it's not too loud, replacing the exhaust is something I can do and shouldn't cost much. I'd also like to find some decent black offroad 15" wheels. Driving back from Iowa last Sunday she had a little wobble at certain highway speeds. I assume the rusty wheels can't be balanced too well.

I got 21.5 mpg on the highway in crazy severe storms all the way home, and got 17.5 mpg last week around town to and from work. From what I've researched on CF that's about normal and maybe even on the high side of average.

I was told she's got a mild lift kit, though I've never been around offroading in my life so I really don't know for sure. I've been a drag racer and road/rally racing enthusiast. I started with Mustangs back in the day and have had several turbo AWD Eclipses and Talons. If anyone in northwest Arkansas would like to meet up some day to look under my xj just let me know.

I would also like to know certain things to keep an eye out for on the 95 Cherokees that are notorious for going bad. I have no idea of the history of mine other than my dad used it for a daily driver and he bought it from a college kid who also used her as a daily. I've always known the Jeep 4.0 I6 is a super reliable motor but that's about it. Thanks!

Last edited by 95jeepster; 05-26-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum
Old 05-26-2013, 06:03 PM

Cleaned her up today. She sat under a tree for a year so it took some time. I was pleasantly surprised the red cleaned up well.
Attached Thumbnails New Jeepster owner-jeep1.jpg   New Jeepster owner-jeep2.jpg  
Old 05-28-2013, 08:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Shes pretty! Welcome to the forum man!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:30 PM

Thanks! I look forward to making her just a little better.