new to the jeep world

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default new to the jeep world

hey everybody. just picked up a 1990 cherokee pioneer last week. been looking for something to buy for a ranch truck/grocery getter. found this thing for what i thought was a reasonable price. the guy picked it up at an estate sale, threw some new plugs in it, fresh gas, newer tires, battery, changed engine oil and filter, trans fluid and filter. he said it had been sitting for 6 yrs. fires up pretty good. needs some attention, but i believe it will be a great project. I'm used to dealing with diesel trucks, so i will be something new. any ideas on best way to freshen up a 25 yr old XJ, would be greatly appreciated. thanks, and i look forward to learning some stuff bout this creature.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Does it have any specific issues? If not, just do a good old tune up- oil/air filter/ distributer cap/rotor etc. I would probably change all the fluids if its been sitting that long... Tranny/tcase, differential, flush the coolant etc. Congrats on your purchase! It should suit your purposes just fine.

Welcome to CherokeeForum!
Old 02-11-2015, 02:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for joining

Tony
Old 02-14-2015, 10:42 PM

Ianf406, the main thing i saw to begin with, is it seems to have way too much crap going on under the hood. i think the previous owner had extra stuff on it. saw some extra wires coming from battery, that were just laying around. very dirty in the engine bay, with some oily residue. when i get the chance, i will get up under there and clean it up to see where there may be leaks coming from.
i didn't drive it a whole lot, but when the engine was getting a little warmer, i could smell an oil burning smell coming from the engine bay area. that will go back to changing fluids, cleaning it all up, and see whats going on. when i test drove it, i was easy on it, and going down the road, it didn't seem to want to shift. the owner hopped in, hammered it, got down the road, and it started shifting. i doubt it is supposed to take that much, but if y'all have any insight there, or suggestions, i will gladly use it. might just be something I'm not used to.
1ATony, i don't know how much you may have to do with the 1A auto repair videos on youtube, but if so, good job. i have used them for multiple things.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:44 PM

i also need to find some hydraulic cylinders for the rear hatch. it did not have any. minute stuff in areas. others, more. but will be a fun project that will never end i believe. i always want to change things.