New here and looking

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New here and looking

Hi I have been reading here for a while and just joined. I used to have a few classic Broncos. But recently started searching for a low budget XJ. Mainly will be used for Daily and camping trips that we currently have to take both vehicles on to haul the kids and all the camping gear. But I know it will see some off-road wheeling days as well.
So I saw a 91 sitting by a barn and asked about it. It was parked due to something in the steering bend after hitting a curb. Has been sitting for 2 years. I'm gonna take a battery and see if it will start this week. It has 171,000 on 4.0 and auto. They asked 900$ I think my offer will be a lot less.

Maybe just me, but I prefer projects that no one else has tampered with before.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:48 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 2.5 td

Welcome from England, hope it turns out well.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for joining

Tony
Old 07-21-2015, 08:41 PM

Super excited to say I dropped a charged battery in and it fired err right up. Which didn't help with negotiations, lol. But I now own my first Cherokee. Friends have already donated coils, coil spacers.. I'm stoked. Anxious to get started.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE
Engine: 4.0

Nice find, off to a running start it looks like.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Welcome to the forum! Nice find, what are the plans for the future?
Old 07-22-2015, 09:45 AM

Well for future plans I first need some decent used tires so I can get tune up and make sure everything is mechanically good to go. Then I have to decide if I'm going to budget build a lift or just purchase one. I know I want at least 31" tires and will be fighting the urge for 33". But my current budget is tight. It's going to be more daily driven and used for camping trips with maybe a once a month trip to an area close to Natural bridge that we trail ride at here I'm Ky. I know I am going to strip the carpet and bed line the floors and cut out the rust which is only in rockers and replace with some 2x2 or 2x4 box tubing for rock rails. I am a painter however I love my stuff rat or patina looking so it's going to have an unusual for off road finish, lol.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Right on. I would defiantly suggest 33's I have 32's on mine right now and they feel just that much too small for things all the time! Also my other Cherokee has 33's and when they are both sitting next to each other the 33's look so much better. As for the lift I would suggest doing a lot of reading about home brew or junk yard lifts and shoot for around 3in-4in then with a little trimming 33's would be no problem. Check this video out, this guy shows a very well done junk yard lift
Old 07-22-2015, 06:28 PM

That's great! I have been researching and reading that same type of junk yard lift. I just have to make sure I do whatever is needed to drag link to prevent death wobble. I have a friend who has a Grand and with his 3" lift and 31's I can barely drive it at 70 on the interstate. How does yours drive with 33's and what did you use?
Thanks
Old 07-22-2015, 06:58 PM
Seasoned Member

On one I have a rough country 3 in lift but I bought it that way on the other I have a 3 inch lift I made out of a bunch of random name brand parts. On that one I have rustys 3in coils, some lower control arms from tuff country I think, v8 zj tie rod, stock track bar, 3in blocks in the rear, and no sway bars. You shouldn't have to do anything to the drag link its the track bar that usually causes problems. With that you could mod the bracket to scoot the tack bar over or you can just buy an adjustable one they're fairly inexpensive! Mine drives great but I get what I'd call a death "shimmy" at 48-53mph because my whole front ends a mess. That being said none of my problems happened until I dove off a 6ft ledge and bent everything under my entire jeep lol. As far as the lift is concerned though, I defiantly say do it, death wobble is never hard to fix it's just a matter of finding the problem.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:20 PM

Nice! Well a friend donated a set of 2" terraflex coil spacers to the cause. So this weekend I'll have to get on the tune up/clean up stuff.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Right on, looking forward to your build, I'd love to see you post up progress reports as you build it.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:30 PM

Just got the XJ home this evening, really excited! So while I don't have a definite plan.. I do want to stay budget minded. And really keep track of total investment. So I will be starting a build thread soon. For today in order to ease loading I purchased idealist AutoZone battery, 115. Again after sitting still a bit surprised that dropping in New battery it just starts right up. So loaded her up and headed home. This weekend is going to be busy with a family reunion Sat and hiking at Red river gorge Sunday. But some major cleaning and planning will be happening in spare time.
A couple of questions.. one of the first fixes to drive is tie rod replacement. So if I plan to work up to 33's eventually and do some mild wheeling should I by pass the ZJ upgrade and just do the Rusty's parts? Also has anyone used late 80's thunderbird coils? Or the moog version of similar?

Finally home
Old 07-25-2015, 12:11 AM
Seasoned Member

The zj tie rod will be just fine for you, but if you need new rod ends the rustys kit comes with new heavy duty rod ends and a heavy duty drag link adjuster.