New Guy with Q's(pix inside)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New Guy with Q's(pix inside)

Whats up everybody?

Just picked up my first jeep. Don't know much about them, alse I know is that I needed a Winter Beater that is 4x4, and my buddy sold this to me(I know, early for winter right? Gives me time to work on it..)

Anywho, shes rough.
1989 Jeep Cherokee Limited
4.0, auto, 4x4
240k on the clock!

For a New England car, its not THAT rusty. appears that it was undercoated at some point. Rockers are pretty mint, only significant rust is on both drivers door handle areas?? Odd..

Old 05-21-2010, 07:56 PM

So, I paid $300.00 for it. Don't think that It was too bad of a deal. I think it needs a transmission, but im going to replace the TPS first(doesnt shift out of first until 36 mph!!!!). The current plan is, 3" lift and 31x10.5's...

Now, for my Q's

It ticks, very loud. Not an exhaust noise. Not just at idle either. Is this common? i mean, its pretty loud.. Would like to quiet that down..

Replacement headliner, is it available or is this a DIY job?

Replacement Carpet? available?

Cleaning up under the hood, it seems very "cluttered".
Many clamps n such under here.. Also, I got a new PCV valve, but the rubber boot it sits in is all messed up. Someone told me they used to sell a kit to replace all the rubber tubes from PCV valve, air filter house, etc.. Is this still available?
ghetto

Old 05-22-2010, 02:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 9teen98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by LoudLowNslow
Now, for my Q's

It ticks, very loud. Not an exhaust noise. Not just at idle either. Is this common? i mean, its pretty loud.. Would like to quiet that down..

Replacement headliner, is it available or is this a DIY job?

Replacement Carpet? available?

Cleaning up under the hood, it seems very "cluttered".
Many clamps n such under here.. Also, I got a new PCV valve, but the rubber boot it sits in is all messed up. Someone told me they used to sell a kit to replace all the rubber tubes from PCV valve, air filter house, etc.. Is this still available?
ghetto

first off welcome to the site from san fran, ca. from the pictures you posted - looks like the previous owner took advantage of a sale on clamps (buy one and get a dozen for free.99) haha j/k

as for the headliner & carpet - you can do it yourself. you can either get a kit from wlsheadliner.com or go to a fabric store - pick up some material you like and adhesive glue like 3m. for the carpet - depending on how bad the one on there now, you can prob just do away with just scrubbing and cleaning the bajeezuh of it.

as for the ticking - i too have a mild tick on the engine....that comes and goes. so every oil change, i use Lucas Oil Strabilizer and the ticking sound is not as often as it was before.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Welcome, and looks like a good start. I would do a huge maintenance day to it.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

Welcome, from Wisconsin. Headliner is a common problem, and a easy fix. Takes a afternoon to do. Redid mine, along with overhead console. Looks like the factory job did. (do a search here, on headliners) Check the underside of your front doors. I see in your pics. The outside weather stripping is old & cracked. Easy fix, replacement piece is about $12 each. (do a search here, on weather stripping) Anyways, nice looking XJ. I see it's a Limited!

Last edited by 91 limited owner; 05-22-2010 at 05:22 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:49 AM

Year: 1996

Welcome to the forum from Florida. You can find all kinds of stuff for your Cherokee on line. (TEAMCHEROKEE.COM) Has a lot of replacement parts for example. And many more sites to choose from. Good luck with your build.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the Welcomes guys! Im going to start tearing apart the interior tomorrow if I have some time.. I will post pics If I do!
Old 05-22-2010, 10:30 PM

Well, started ripping the interior apart tonight. I want to give the carpet a thorough cleaning. My question is, how do I get the two little hook things out of the rear area of the floor?(way back, by the spare) Are they riveted in? Mine are rusty and I cant tell if its a torx, phillips, rivit etc... Thanks for any help!
Old 05-26-2010, 09:29 PM

Mine are rusty too. Couldn't tell either what to use. Just ended up with some Resolve and a scrub brush and a towel. Worked pretty good.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

WELCOME! and mine are rivited in, i would drill them out and then rebolt them back in! hope this helps! again welcome!
Old 05-28-2010, 01:23 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: I6

Welcome and sweet XJ. Mine is an 89 as well. But it looks like your interior puts mine to shame lol.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:26 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Hey all, I'm gonna piggy pack on to this thread if Loud... doesn't mind.

I just picked up a 1998 "Sport" (I think it might be different model, Sport decals look new and color is different than other decals) I have a rust issue at the bottom of the front doors, at the center, and just my candid looks about town other XJs have the same issue... what have you all done to fix it? it is at a semi serious stage now and I'd like to stop it. I already cured the rust issue that was behind the rear bumper covers, I think 1998 was first year of full coverage bumper ends (bumper to wheel well) and it trapped a lot of salt/crap, I cut out a lot "dead" material and had to make brackets to keep the cover in place.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:38 AM

Year: 1992

welcome from nh man.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Old 06-14-2010, 12:46 PM

Sorry guys, prgress has been SLOW on the Jeep. Trying to put as much into my Buick as I can so I can enjoy it before it gets put away in October..

Anywho, removed the carpet. Floor had some minor surface rust, NO holes! Sweet! So I sanded the floor down, sprayed some rust converter down, and layed down three coats of rubberized undercoating. I wouldve done bedliner if I was ditching the carpet, but I'm not. so this works! All this because i wanted to shampoo the carpet! The interior from the rear seats back is out. Next will be to remove the front seats and carpet.

Also, the orignal plan was to do 31x10.5r15 on cragar soft 8's. Well, i ended up getting these bad boys for FREE, so this will be the tire I run. I will buy 17" soft 8's instead now.
265/70R17 Cooper Discoverer STT. They end up being a little bigger than a 31x10.5 about half tread left, and did I mention they were Free!

Well, thats all for now. I'll update when i make some progress!

Quick Reply: New Guy with Q's(pix inside)