New guy from KY

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default New guy from KY

Hello. Joined to learn more about the Jeep XJ. Been looking for one to use as a "farm truck", just to haul me and my family around the property through the woods to go back on the property and shoot, camp out, etc. Needed a small SUV to fit back in the woods and haul all 5 of us. Wanted something with a straight front axle and known good off road ability. Won't be doing any wild wheeling with it, just general trail riding.

I did a stint for about 3-4 years with Dana Corp as a Manufacturing Engineer in a Light Axle Assembly plant so I've had my hands on my fair share of WJ, XJ, TJ, KJ axles. At one time or another I was Mfg Eng over each assy line that produced those axles. Majority of my time was spent on the XJ, TJ, KJ though. We were just starting to produce the Rubicon axles when I left there for greener pastures.

I've been a GM man my whole life, but always had a liking to the Jeep line, just never had a justifiable reason to own one, until now.

Anyway, I've found a local 99 XJ Sport that has been with the current woman owner for most, if not all it's life. The husband says it's all original and has 172,xxx miles on it. I am set to look at it this weekend and will most likely drive it home with me. I'm currently trying to do some research to see what is the best, economical lift to put 31's on the stock wheels. I don't need to go wild with a big $$$ long arm lift for what I am going to use it for. I am sure I'll be fairly active on the forum once I get the keys to it, as I like to dig into the weeds with the things I own and develop a good understanding of known issues, mods, etc.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 td

Hi and welcome from across the pond.
Good luck hope all turns out well for you.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the site