new guy in IL, South Chicago Burbs.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Default new guy in IL, South Chicago Burbs.

What's up guys.. been lurking for a bit but thought I'd post an intro thread.. Picked up a 99 XJ from Craigslist a few weeks ago. It runs awesome but fixing a lot of stupid little things (dim headlights, both wiper fluid sprayers dead, etc..) Also smells like open *** in the car.. Currently have the seats out and shampooing the carpets. Going to be our winter beast for now.

This is my second XJ, had a 2001 XJ 3 years ago that was in far better shape than this one. But still looking forward fixing this one up a bit.

Was wondering if someone could answer a quick question.. I only got 1 key with the XJ, and it only operates the ignition. The key I have doesn't turn the driver/passenger/rear hatch lock cylinders. Should that one key open the locks as well or is there supposed to be a separate key for the locks? Also was there a keyfob for the 99 models? (Cherokee sport)
(I did get a title with this XJ, its legit )
Old 12-19-2011, 04:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome to CF. A previous owner probably changed either the ignition lock or the steering column because of damage IMO. You can have a locksmith make you a key for the door lock pretty cheap. Either wait until you're driving it or remove the inner door panel and remove the lock cylinder and take it in.
Not sure about the key fob.