new guy

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy

Hey guys im new to the sight as well as new with a jeep. I just bought a 01 jeep cherokee 4x4 i6. Im looking to getting it serviced and make a tune up on it and was wondering if you guys can help with this...

I need:
Oil
Oil Filter
Air Filter
Spark Plugs
Spark Plug Wires

Wat brands are good for these parts or wat brands do you recomend?????

Also, i have a heater problem and when you turn the notch to hot air it keeps coming out cold. Not sure if its the evaporator???

And i also knoticed when i bought the jeep it had zero free-on so the compresor kept goin on and off when the ac was on and would also idle change low and high, but when i put free-on it stoped idling low and high and stayed at a normal idle and the compresor stayed on. It stayed lime that for about a week and now its doing it again but cold air still comes out. Could it be that it needs more free-on??? I only put about 3 ounces but on most cars thats all it needs and i doubt it runs low quick. Possible leak maybe?????

Please guys, any help is appreciated. Im loving this jeep so far but i hate it to have problems that can get worse. Thnx for any help.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Ponky

Also, i have a heater problem and when you turn the notch to hot air it keeps coming out cold. Not sure if its the evaporator???

And i also knoticed when i bought the jeep it had zero free-on so the compresor kept goin on and off when the ac was on and would also idle change low and high, but when i put free-on it stoped idling low and high and stayed at a normal idle and the compresor stayed on. It stayed lime that for about a week and now its doing it again but cold air still comes out. Could it be that it needs more free-on??? I only put about 3 ounces but on most cars thats all it needs and i doubt it runs low quick. Possible leak maybe?????
Hey man. Welcome. There's really not to much other than just go with OEM parts and non synthetic oil.
It sound like your heater core is blocked. They sell flush kits for em. You have to back flush the heater core as well. But the entire coolant system probably needs a good pressurized (nothing excessive) cleaning.

The other idle problem sounds like the A/C clutch is going. Try just disconnecting the compressor. AND/OR it's vacuum related.

Try this: while driving, put air on full blast on feet. Floor it (or at least hard enough to shift gears) and see if the air flow changed and goes up thru the defrost vent. If so, vac leak.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use Mobil 1 with a WIX filter.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Welcome to CF.
If the compressor stopped engaging already, don't add more freon. Sounds like it has a slow leak.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Do what I do, Open the wing windows until their flipped around back wards. You get more air and bugs then you ever want. It also keeps the ash tray clean.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:22 PM

Alrighty guys thanx! I think i do have a leak on free on but about the heater im not sure yet. I heard these jeeps came out a little bad from compresors and belt tentioners and computers :/ kinda sux. I heard one way to really mess up ure comp is passing cables and even sometimes hooking up to a trailer for its lights..
Old 05-09-2012, 01:40 PM

Hello friends.. this is Anakin James from USA... New guy here.. Nice to join here..

Last edited by Anakin James; 05-11-2012 at 02:23 PM.