New to forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default New to forum

Hi Im new here

Im looking to get a Cherokee. Love them. Always have

Right now Im in a 2011 CRV, with 2wd. Although its been a good car, I would like something more rugged with 4wd (surfing, snow, etc). Definitely want something in the 90s range, all stock for my daily driver.

Any tips, advice, what to look out for would be greatly appreciated. Any other places to look other than Craigslist/autotrader?

Live in NY, and Im from TX. Thinking maybe of looking for one in the south and driving it back (salt?)

Thank you

Max
Old 02-01-2019, 01:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum. It's not a bad idea to get one from down South due to rust issues that XJs have up North. Be mindful though, that they also tend to leak around the firewall, windshield and heater blower motor to name a few. This soaks carpeting and will rust the floors out of them pretty much no matter where you live, so a close inspection of the floor is important.

Other than that look for neglect like any other used car you might want. Keep in mind you're talking about a ~20 year old car that will occasionally need work no matter how it was taken care of previously. I bought a one owner '96 that was in pretty good shape minus some rust through three years ago and after getting it road ready (rusted floors, needed tires, hood release cable) have still had to replace the radiator, hydraulic clutch assembly, blower motor, windshield (due to leaks), oil filter adapter o-ring, and front O2 sensor in just the 15k miles I've driven it so far. It helps if you can DIY to save money.

In spite of that, I've got a 200k mile XJ that I would drive anywhere. It doesn't burn or leak any oil at all, and runs great.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:10 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the Forum Maxburkhalter!
Old 02-01-2019, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet! Don’t mind a little bit of a project, but don’t want to bite off more than I can chew either

will keep in mind the things you mentioned when looking

what would you say the best years are? any criteria to search with (mileage, year, etc)? What would be an automatic NOPE in your opinion/s when searching?

thanks again

and apologies if this has been covered elsewhere