New to Forum

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Smile New to Forum

Hi guys and gals, I joined a while back but haven't been on in a long time. I am about to start a long process of turning my 98 Jeep Cherokee Sport (5 Speed) that is all stock into a sweet looking, very off road capable machine. It is going to take a couple of years of one project at a time to spread out costs and allow for research of product selection and the mechanics that will do a great job with installation. I am excited about this forum and all the help and info I know it will provide.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Welcome!

Do the work yourself and save a few thousand dollars. Just imagine you're on a trail and something breaks. If you had a mechanic put it in, you'll have no clue how to fix it. But if you put it in then chances are you'll be able to fix it or rig something up enough to limp it home. These aren't hard to work on and you'll feel more accomplished when you look back and see what you built with your own hands.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:09 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

seriously ^^^ what he said unless youre rich (i didnt get that impression) and can afford to have a support team follow you on the trails to make the repairs youre plan is slightly flawed. it only takes like one or two nights to figure out what vendors and lift parts to use cuz theres only like 3 or 4 that most people use (maybe closer to 2) depending to what degree and direction they are looking to go ie: street/trail, trail only etc.
if you want to spend a couple of years doing something take a auto repair course or join every xj forum (theres at least 5 just xj forums, that dosent count all the ones that do multiple jeeps) and spend lots of time reading, googleing youre questions and than just start with the basics tune ups, oil changes etc. i did a budget boost on mine with nothing more than what i read on a forum, of course i was an hvac tech so i wasnt totally clueless but i had never messed with springs or suspension before. Take the plunge you wont regret it, good luck

oh and by the way its already very off road capable you could kick a land rovers *** with a 3 inch lift and lockers in youre diffs, and decent tires. probably about 2 grand worth of parts. and depending on where you live you might find other forum members that are close by that are willing to teach and help you get youre plan to fruition much sooner....ken

Last edited by kennzz05; 03-26-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:57 PM

Thanks guys. I don't plan on any aggressive off roading. Just an occasional muddy ride to get to a deer hunting spot or a remote fishing hole. I do not have the tools, place, or time to delve into installing lift kits, dealing w alignment issues, installing bumpers, winch, lockers, etc. I could do the work but would rather just drop it off w a trusted mechanic and pick it up that day or the next.

This will be my daily driver for 3-5 more years and a weekend toy beyond that. This is all primarily for looks and confidence when I need to go off road.

I love my cherokee and you are right, it has done amazing in some pretty difficult spots for being all stock!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6 High Output

Welcome to the forum, but with any vehicle that's for race, 4x4, play, or daily drive.
Pick up tools and start wrenching.
Sometime's it is nice to use a mechanic for some things. ( IF your lazy) Just make sure you know how to fix it, in case it breaks, or if you wanna save some dollars.