New boy on the block comes from MEXICO

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default New boy on the block comes from MEXICO

Hi every one, my name is Jose Luis (if it's easier to you, you may call me Joseph) i'm from Mexico ( not New Mexico) more specifically H.Matamoros Tamaulipas (that would be next to brownsville Texas)

I'm 21 years old and I am a proud owner of an 01' Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L 2WD

i bought it on june (because of my birthday) i realized it was time i should get a car to move around town, previous owner thought it was a 99 model i told her it was more recent but she would not listen, got it for 3,200 bucks and since then i started getting my hands to mechanic work in order to keep it fully functional

the obvious details were these: it had no ceiling fabric, no AC, scratched and weathered paint, had a serious noise in the motor (turned out being a piece of hose that was making friction with a fan, so no big deal)

when i got home i started inspecting it more cautiously:
-the AC when turned on would give only air straight from the motor, it would stink to burnt oil withing 15 or 20 seconds
-the steering hose was broken, you would hear it when turning
-it had a lot of sand everywhere, i really mean everywhere (seats, console, beneath seats front and back, trunk, i guess previous owner liked the beach much)
-the air filter was toast
-oil was very burnt and dark
-it had motor water everywhere
-2 speakers were not working
-3 doors wouldn't lock from the door control

-it's going to be a fun experience !
i said to myself

i took the radiator out to inspect it, dear God it was awful
it was all clogged, i started running water and a metal stick (don't know how to translate it, bear with me), if i could describe it i could say chocolate was coming out of the radiator, and i noticed it had been already taken apart and it has 2 inlets sealed and then reassembled( it had silicone that's how i realized that) anyway i continued cleaning it until normal water came off

then i bought the steering hose and fluid and the air filter

all from above was done in july, sometime later i noticed gas would not last much 20L would last roughly 3 days ( and i wasn't driving too far or very fast)

i decided to change the gas filter, cleaning the throttle body and the injectors

took apart the gas tank

took the fuel sending module from the tank

and this was the filter

changed it for a new one

throttle thing

53032025AC

this thing was covered not oxide but like tartar, fur ( not sure how to say it) but i cleaned it and left it nice and shiny

after all this, gas lasts longer now, and even feels better when driving
that was around september

then more recently in october i checked the doors and took them apart used a tester, and the motors from the doors were already dead and non-functional so i bought new ones, drilled and installed them, now all 4 doors open and close from the door remote, the speakers 1 was disconnected, and the other was, the cable was cut in half, used my soldering iron and some solder to put it together then a little of tubing to protect it

several days ago the check engine light turned on, inspecting the motor i noticed some oil from the valve cover so i figured the gasket was already worn out

so, bought a new one, an oil filter, some oil and it turn off for around a week, then it turned on again, not sure what else can i do

today i took the header front panel to clean some residues from the motor water that spilled

and started considering a bumper, with a winch, the thing is some are very expensive and they're not any near my capital, and i don't really like some of them

i am a follower of this forum for quite a while and i happen to found this post:https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/de...rite-up-17619/

what are your recommendations ?

in advance, thanks

Last edited by p0laris; 12-06-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum, from central Florida!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Name:  10mnc4m.gif
Views: 12
Size:  45.2 KB
Old 12-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post